This private guide tour takes you back in time, to discover the way of life of ancient and modern inhabitants
There are many tours to Teotihuacán, but this tour offers you something different: not only discover this ancient civilization that built a city in the first centuries AD almost as big as Rome, but also explore ways of life, worldviews, art, local cuisine and living traditions.
The site of the famous pyramids was designed from scratch, with a perfect geometrical pattern that grew fast to cover more than 20 square kilometers or 10 square miles. After a century of excavations, this mysterious old site is slowly revealing the secrets about its political organization and its sudden decay in the 7th century.
A standard visit of the archaeological site includes the three restored pyramids and reveals their meaning. But we go further and unveil worldviews and daily life of the ancient inhabitants through mural paintings, ceramic findings and the visit of residential units, far from the crowds.
We'll have a lunch nearby, to discover the Aztec roots of today's traditional dishes and drinks.
- Teotihuacán: 3 pyramids, mural paintings at religious palaces, residential units, or the local mural museum.
- Aztec food at lunchtime
- Optional visits include:
* * On the way: Augustine monastery that shows spiritual life during the early christianization or the Basílica of Guadalupe or the ruins of Tlatelolco (10USD pp).
* Experience current local livelihoods at local silver, obsidian, pulque and weaving workshops, and/or a small family business who turn cactus fruits and leaves into snacks, salsas, marmalades and liquors (FREE)
* Visit an impressive colonial aqueduct to bring water to a monastery (20USD)
* Early balloon flight over the pyramids (150USD pp)
* Temazcal bath (traditional sweat hut ceremony), (90USD pp. for min. 2)
* Horseback or bicycle ride in the surroundings of the pyramids (price depending on group size).
In case you want one of the activities with a cost included in your tour booking, I can customize a tour for you. I can also rent a larger vehicle if wished.
Meeting Location + Tour Duration
Meeting location: Hotel or airport pickup
End location: Hotel or airport dropoff
Duration: 7 hours
Duration for standard visit and lunch in the area, without extra (optional) visits. Add up to one hour when starting or returning at rush hour (8-9h30am and 5h30-7pm)
VW Transporter VAN, A/C, 9 passenger seats
Guide services, transportation and entrance fees to site and museums
Estimated Local Cash Needed
300 pesos - Lunch and drinks
Lunch and drinks, optional visits
A Recent Review of this tour
Read More Reviews For This Tour
Jonas was our guide for the city and this pyramids tour. Even though he has probably been to this site many times, he took his time and went through the notable stops and gave us so much more context to how these pyramids were built and used. He walked us around the told us the many stories behind them and made it so much more enjoyable and engaging than just looking at them. He even took us to a great restaurant nearby and we enjoyed lunch with a view of the pyramids. Hire him if you want a good day.