Explore the old city center and visit the Jewish Quarter
Perfect tour for anyone who would like to see the historic and beautiful city center of Amsterdam with an extra visit to the former Jewish Quarter.
We start the tour in the heart of Amsterdam, the old city center, where I'll tell you all about the history of Amsterdam to the city it is today. We will pass by: the oldest house, canals, narrowest alley of Amsterdam, China Town and more.
I will take you to a special place where a brave woman hid Jewish people and the weapens of the resistance in WWII.
On our walk to the old Jewish Quarter we will pass by Rembrandt's house, flea market and the Amsterdam cityhall.
In the Jewish Quarter I'd like to tell you about the history of my own family, who arrived here as refugees beginning of the 17th century and I will tell about their experiences in WWII.
I will explain how this neighborhood has changed and why, I can end the tour at the Jewish Historic Museum, or the Portugues Synagogue. Both have a great audiotour and can be visited with one entry ticket
- Start at in the old city center of Amsterdam.
- Oldest house & building of the city
- Narrowest alley of Amsterdam
- Visit to my former window brothel
- China Town, multicultural Amsterdam
- Special place where Jewish people and weapons of the resistance were hid in WWII
- Pass by the Rembrandt house, flea market and the Amsterdam cityhall
- Stories of my family in WWII, how they arrived as refugees in the 17th century, their experiences
- I will explain how this neighborhood has changed and why.
- The tour can end at the Jewish Historic Museum, or the Portugues Synagogue
Please note: if you like to visit these museums, please book early in the day so you'll have enough time
Meeting Location + Tour Duration
Meeting location: REGULAR MEETING POINT
Damrak 247, in front of the shop 'rent a bike'. I'll be standing at the bench, wearing a Tours By Locals ID.
Only if this is located in the Old City Center (zip code 1012).
Only at Amsterdam's Central Train Station
> Any other meeting location: let me know where you would like to start, so I can see if this is possible
End location: Jewish Historical Museum, or the Portuguese Synagogue. Both are perfect to visit after the tour, have a great audiotour and can be visited with one entry ticket.
Duration: 3 hours
If you would like to visit the Jewish Cultural Quarter: please do note to book the tour early in the day.
Estimated Local Cash Needed
5 Euros - About 5 Euro's for a drink during a break in a local bar or restaurant.
- I don't guide in museums
- I don't own a car but if necessary can arrange transfer. Do notice: public transport is pretty good arranged in Holland and usually cheaper.
A Recent Review of this tour
Read More Reviews For This Tour
Ian is an excellent guide. Other than seeing things on the walking tour we gained an understanding of the history of the city and the country, particularly about the time of WWII and the holocaust. We would highly reccomend him.