Explore the old city center and visit the Jewish Quarter
Perfect tour for anyone who would like to see the historic and beautiful city center of Amsterdam with an extra visit to the former Jewish Quarter.
We start the tour in the heart of Amsterdam, the old city center, where I'll tell you all about the history of Amsterdam to the city it is today. We will pass by: the oldest house, canals, narrowest alley of Amsterdam, China Town and more.
I will take you to a special place where a brave woman hid Jewish people and the weapens of the resistance in WWII.
On our walk to the old Jewish Quarter we will pass by Rembrandt's house, flea market and the Amsterdam cityhall.
In the Jewish Quarter I'd like to tell you about the history of my own family, who arrived here as refugees beginning of the 17th century and I will tell about their experiences in WWII.
I will explain how this neighborhood has changed and why, I can end the tour at the Jewish Historic Museum, or the Portugues Synagogue. Both have a great audiotour and can be visited with one entry ticket
- Start at in the old city center of Amsterdam.
- Oldest house & building of the city
- Narrowest alley of Amsterdam
- Visit to my former window brothel
- China Town, multicultural Amsterdam
- Special place where Jewish people and weapons of the resistance were hid in WWII
- Pass by the Rembrandt house, flea market and the Amsterdam cityhall
- Stories of my family in WWII, how they arrived as refugees in the 17th century, their experiences
- I will explain how this neighborhood has changed and why.
- The tour can end at the Jewish Historic Museum, or the Portugues Synagogue
Please note: if you like to visit these museums, please book early in the day so you'll have enough time
Meeting Location + Tour Duration
Meeting location: REGULAR MEETING POINT
Damrak 247, in front of the shop 'rent a bike'. I'll be standing at the bench, wearing a Tours By Locals ID.
Only if this is located in the Old City Center (zip code 1012).
Only at Amsterdam's Central Train Station
> Any other meeting location: let me know where you would like to start, so I can see if this is possible
End location: Jewish Historical Museum, or the Portuguese Synagogue. Both are perfect to visit after the tour, have a great audiotour and can be visited with one entry ticket.
Duration: 3 hours
If you would like to visit the Jewish Cultural Quarter: please do note to book the tour early in the day.
- Visit to my former window brothel, in Amsterdam's most narrow alley
Estimated Local Cash Needed
5 Euros - About 5 Euro's for a drink during a break in a local bar or restaurant.
OPTIONAL: visit Jewish Cultural Quarter
For 1 ticket you can visit the Jewish Historical Museum, the Portuguese Synagogue, the Hollandse Schouwburg and the National Holocaust Museum.
A ticket is 15 Euros pp and can be purchased at one of these locations (no long lines. A ticket is valid for one month!
Tip: kosher lunch in the Jewish Historical Museum, the only place in the city center.
Please do note: IF you would like to visit, book the tour early in the day, so there is enough time to visit the museum(s).
- I don't guide in museums
- I don't own a car but if necessary can arrange transfer. Do notice: public transport is pretty good arranged in Holland and usually cheaper.
A Recent Review of this tour
Read More Reviews For This Tour
Ian is a terrific guide. He has such energy and passion, he makes Amsterdam's Jewish history come alive. His tour is replete with anecdotes and very interesting stories of the Jewish history in Amsterdam. Some of his own family were victims of the WWII Nazi atrocities and he relates many stories associated with various sites in the city related to that history. If you are looking for a fabulous tour of the City center and Jewish history of Amsterdam Ian is your man. My wife and I loved his tour.