The place Queen Elizabeth 2nd considers to be her home and she loves best
The trip is a minimum half day to the oldest and longest inhabited castle in the world, and more than 900 years old. We will visit the inside of the Castle containing many treasures. It is the essence of a medieval castle, overlooking the beautiful River Thames and Windsor Great Park, and one that has never been successfully attacked. It is a huge building where the Queen spends most of her "off duty" time in her private apartments. There is much to see in the large public areas and "State Apartments". These are crammed full of valuable furniture, world class paintings, artefacts, and armour. The Castle is situated in the heart of the ancient surrounding old town of Windsor, with some buildings on the castle fringe dating back nearly 600 years in a warren of alleyways. The compact town lends itself to exploration, with shops, restaurants, and cafes. It is possible to stroll by the River or visit the famous adjacent village of Eton, known for its world famous public school , educating prime ministers.
1. Meet in the Hotel Lobby or at the point of departure at the central London railway station
2. Travel by Local Train to the Castle - 1 hr approx from railway departure point
3. Walk to Castle (10 minutes). Tour Castle 90 minutes with the Guide describing the history and extensive interior cultural contents including furniture and world class paintings. This is the weekend home of The Queen
4. Accompanied walk back to the Local Windsor train station
5. Customer can decide to remain in Windsor and spend free time there. Recommended to have lunch and see the local sights. There is an extensive opportunity to see local shops, with many cafes, restaurants and specialist shops (Eton in particular)
Meeting Point + Tour Duration
Meeting Point Options: Rail or Bus Station, Airport, Hotel, Address or Intersection, Monument/Building
End Point Options: Rail or Bus Station, Airport, Hotel, Address or Intersection, Monument/Building
Duration: 5 hours
The tour is by local central London train from either Waterloo or Paddington Station. The train timetable will dictate the precise start time from the station. Journey time is approximately 1 hour to Windsor
This trip will be by pleasant local train and moderate walking
Estimated Local Cash Needed
40 pounds - This covers the cost per person to travel to/from London - Windsor, and the Castle entry ticket cost. Local refreshments meals and shopping are extra's paid locally
There are no restrictions and I can arrange car transport if required in a private vehicle.
A Recent Review of this tour
Read More Reviews For This Tour
Barry was excellent. The weather was cool and raining, but he was constantly of good cheer. He has exceptional knowledge of not only Windsor Castle but of greater London itself. He's relaxed, let us go at our own pace, and explained everything with patience and humor. He is absolutely thorough, leaving no detail unattended, including sharing his umbrella and watching out for traffic on the crowded sidewalks. An outstanding tour with an extraordinary guide. Highly recommended.