Hike the tallest mountain in Africa: Mt. Kilimanjaro with a Private guide
Crowned by an eternal snow-cap, Mt. Kilimanjaro is situated inside the Kilimanjaro National Park in Tanzania; it is the highest mountain in Africa and the tallest freestanding mountain on earth. Challenge yourself: come to climb it with me!
Many travellers are attracted to the highest point in Africa - Uhuru Peak on Kibo - which can be reached by several easy walking or scrambling routes. The two main summits of Kilimanjaro: craggy Mawenzi, 5149m, and 'flat-topped', Kibo, 5896m are separated by The Saddle, a 5km wide, high-altitude, semi-desert. From the summit glaciers, screes, cliffs, Afro-alpine moorland then forests lead down to the cultivated foothills.
The Marangu Route offers walking on gentle forest and moorland paths up to 4700m. Above, screen leads to Gillman's Point on the often snowy crater rim which is followed to Uhuru Peak. Accommodation is in huts.
The Machame and Umbwe Routes are tougher.
Booking confirmation should be made early enough, in time as one month before.
1. Arrive Nairobi Airport, transfer to Your Hotel.
2. Nairobi to Moshi, Hotel in Moshi ( B&B)8 hrs drive
3. Drive to Machame village, Walk to the Machame camp.
4. Continue along the steep ridge going on to rock ridges and through heather, reaching Shira camp time 5 hours.
5. Continue to Kibo then east descend to Barranco camp ( 4 hours).
6. A short scramble to the top of the Great Barranco and then Karanga Valley (3 hours) to Barafu camp.
7. An early start for the ascent to the rim of the Kibo Crater between the Glaciers, (4 hours) to Uhuru peak, descend to Mweka camp.
8. A 3-4 hour descent to Park gate A. Drives back to the hotel Moshi (B&B).
9: Drive to Nairobi then to Airport, or Kilimanjaro Airport.
Meeting Location + Tour Duration
Meeting location: Nairobi airport or Kilimanjaro airport.
End location: In Moshi.
Duration: 9 days
Our tour vans are well ventilated and spacious.
All vans are designed to carry a maximum of 7 passengers, but shuttle buses carry 25-35 passengers, it depends on the number of travellers.
Estimated Local Cash Needed
200 Dollars - Drinks, snacks etc.
The exchange rate is about 82 ksh and can vary.
A Recent Review of this tour
Read More Reviews For This Tour
This is our second time using Dunstan and TBL for our unique college study abroad program to East Africa and Mt. Kilimanjaro and like the first time, they exceeded expectations. As an academically accredited college program in Outdoor Recreation Leadership, our students are trained to work as guides and leaders in the outdoor field. Dunstan is a brilliant logistics coordinator and guide and an excellent addition to our instruction team. Thank you Dunstan!