See the mighty Mississippi up-close and discover how its raw power created Minneapolis
You'll get so close to the surging Mississippi River and its dramatic St. Anthony Falls during this private, 2-hour walking adventure that you'll catch your breath while learning how the the river's rich history impacts life today in Minneapolis.
From the falls to old flour mills and spanning the famous Stone Arch Bridge, you'll see surprising views and hear stories from many different perspectives - early settlement and lumbering, harnessing the river's wild power, milling flour to feed the world and today's Mill District transformation into the city's most desirable and trendy residential neighborhood.
Seen Minneapolis before but don't know how or why the city became so vibrant? Want to experience the power of nature in the heart of the city's exploding residential and recreational destination? Ready for a nature hike, history tour and urban adventure all-in-one? This tour is for you.
After meeting on historic Main Street just steps from the river:
- Gaze down at the Mississippi headwaters roaring over the impressive St. Anthony Falls.
- See the Pillsbury "A" Mill facade, the world's largest flour producer for nearly 50 years.
- View both old and modern hydropower plants and learn about water power.
- Walk atop the Stone Arch Bridge, an 1880s railroad engineering marvel that today is the city's key sightseeing and recreational destination.
- Confront the plunging waterfall directly in view while strolling across the 2, 000-foot bridge, and hear stories of the Mill City's long history of lumber and flour production.
As the walking tour completes at the starting point, you'll understand how this historic legacy is directly linked to contemporary Minnesota culture and Minneapolis life.
This tour is most engaging and informative when the weather cooperates. The itinerary can be easily adjusted to accommodate changing weather and your personal schedule.
Meeting Point + Tour Duration
Meeting Point Options: Suggested by Guide: Meet at the "Information & Postings" monument at river's edge across the street from 201 SE Main St, Minneapolis, MN 55414. The start point will be suggested and confirmed upon engagement.
Duration: 2 hours
This outdoor walking tour will be on mostly flat terrain with some uneven surfaces transitioning from sidewalks to trails. In addition to a casual walking pace, there will be brief periods of standing and an occasional stop to sit, if desired. Comfortable walking shoes are suggested. Please dress appropriately for the outdoor weather.
- Guiding Services
Estimated Local Cash Needed
No cash is needed for this tour
- Personal Expenses