Venice's old quarantine station (April to October)
If you'll be in Venice anytime from April to October and you'd like to spend a few hours outside the city navigating the lagoon, enjoying its natural environment and getting acquainted with an important part of Venetian history, you must visit the island of the Lazzareto Nuovo, the old quarantine station.
It was open in 1468 as a place to seclude for 40 days people, goods, and animals arriving to Venice to make sure that nothing and nobody could be a potential carrier of plague.
The Lazzaretto Nuovo is today a beautiful green area encompassed by walls including a large warehouse. Inside several items ranging from archeological findings to old boats and documents related to the plague are on display.
From the top of the old wall visitors can enjoy a wide view of the open lagoon meters away from the mudflats at close range of this unique water area.
If you wish to spend more time after the tour is over you can walk around the Island following a naturalistic path along the old walls.
After meeting your guide at a designated meeting point in Venice, board with him the public waterbus to navigate the open lagoon on your way to the Lazzaretto Nuovo.
Once there you'll be introduced to the history of the place while walking through the open green area and:
- visit the large warehouse, find out about its use and view the items kept inside.
- climb to the top side of the walls and get a panoramic view of the lagoon.
- see the inside of one old gunpowder depots
- For a 3 hours long tour and pricing, meeting point must be at the waterbus stop. I'll send you infos about it.
- If you prefer to be picked up at your place or another more convenient place for you, contact me so I can provide a personalized tour with tour length and price.
- This tour relies on the public waterbus schedule.
- On weekdays the price to enter the Island privately is 60, 00 euros up to 6 people.
- On weekends price to enter the Island with general public is 10, 00 euros per person up to maximum 6
Meeting Location + Tour Duration
Meeting location: Best and more suitable place will be by #13 waterbus stop in the Fondamente Nuove. A different meeting point can be arranged on demand considering a longer availability of your guide and pricing so he can reach your place or area.
End location: If you decide to get back to Venice, end location will be at the #13 waterbus stop in town. Otherwise you can remain longer time at the Lazzaretto Island or continue farther on your own.
Duration: 3 hours
3 hours works if the meeting will be at the waterbus stop.
Otherwise a longer tour will be needed and in that case I can change time and pricing accordingly upon your acceptance.
We'll be using a public waterbus for a return trip.
And we'll walk on open grass in the Island.
Estimated Local Cash Needed
200 euro - Admissions are
weekdays from Monday to Friday - 60,00 euros up to six people
(Private access to the location)
weekends Saturday and Sunday - 10,00 euros pp up to six people
(General access to the location)
consider having this money in cash.
Plus 15,00 euros per person to buy transportation tickets unless you have a valid pass already
Licensed Guides in Venice have no restrictions at all.