Wine and culinary experiences in a landscape of Unesco trulli
A gourmet itinerary to enjoy the beautiful countryside of Itria Valley and, in particular, to taste its culinary and wine excellences: the renowned wines of Locorotondo, some Slow Food presidia (Biscotto di Ceglie and Capocollo di Martina), the tasty cheeses, the healthy extra-virgin olive oil and the other products of the Mediterranean diet.
It's possible to skip the lunch, to taste some typical wine and food in a grocery or a wine shop, enjoy a served lunch in an trattoria or in Michelin star restaurant.
At the end of the tour we will visit the Unesco site of Alberobello with its fairy tale atmosphere made up of about 1. 500 trulli (a unique kind of building with stone conical roof without any mortar that have survived quite intact and functioning into the modern world).
Some idea for changes to the itinerary
I suggest a full day tour but it's also possible to reduce / modify the tour with a cooking or pastry lesson, a chocolate tasting, a visit to a century old olive grove and/or mill.
The itinerary will be customized depending on your needs. Usually, together with the typical product tasting, there is also the visit of the artisanal workshop to discover the typical produtct making processes.
In a full day it's possible to choose 4 of the following experiences:
- visit to a cheese farm and cheese tasting (burrata, mozzarella, caciocavallo, etc. );
- visit to a bakery to taste the Biscotto di Ceglie, a delicious almond biscuit;
- wine tasting in the countryside (at a winery or in some trulli, typical rural houses in the countryside) to enjoy the Locototondo DOC (one of the most interesting apulian dry white wine made with some indigenous grapes: Bianco d'Alessano, Verdeca, Minutolo) and some red wines (made with Primitivo, Susumaniello, etc. );
- visit to an artisanal workshop to taste the excellence of apulian charchutterie, the Capocollo di Martina (a pork meat cold cut similar to a smoked Parma ham);
- extra virgin olive oil tasting (at a shop or at an olive olive mill)
Meeting Location + Tour Duration
Meeting location: We can meet at your hotel as well as at a railway station or at the cruise ship port (of Bari or Brindisi).
End location: I can come back with you at the meeting point or you can enjoy a dinner in the area.
Duration: 8 hours
For this tour you need a transfer. If you have a vechicle I can come with you otherwise I can arrange for you the transportation by car, van, minibus, bus, wheelchair accessible vehicle, bike, Electric pedal assisted cycle, segway, scooter, vintage car or vespa, etc.
full day (up to 8 hours) private (I'll be entirely dedicated to you thus you won't share the tour with other travellers) guided visit in English language. I'm a licensed tour guide, wine and olive oil sommelier.
Estimated Local Cash Needed
30 EUR - it depends on the activities you will choose
- cheese (mozzarella, caciocavallo, etc.) and/or Capocollo di Martina Franca (typical pork meat cold cut): 10-15 Eur per person;
- wine tasting (3-5 wines with apetizers / light lunch): 6-20 Eur per person;
- extra-virgin olive oil tasting: 5 eur per person or free of charge (but it's appreciated if you buy something);
- Biscotto di Ceglie tasting: free of charge but it's appreciated if you buy something;
- transportation: to be quoted
- lunch (usually people skip the lunch beacuse of the food tasting during the tour): from 20 to 40 Eur depending on the menu and the restaurant
A Recent Review of this tour
Read More Reviews For This Tour
We had a wonderful day yesterday touring the countryside and discovering some of the great produce of the region. A special thank you needs to go to the boys making the cheese at Noci and Mark Shannon for his time during the wine tasting session( we look forward to seeking out his wines on our return to Australia). Thank you Alessandro for spending so much time with us and answering our millions of questions about the region. A great way to see the region! thank you Jackie And Egidio.