The Riace Bronzes and the beauty of Reggio Calabria and Scilla
The two majestic statues - discovered by chance just a few meters off the coast of Riace, in the Ionian Sea in 1972 - became the symbol of Calabria, and of the entire Italy.
They represent two warriors with a perfect beauty.
They have benn dated back to the 5th Century B. C. , and that they should be of Hellenic origin.
They are about 6. 6 ft tall and in perfect condition.
The town of Scilla lies 22 kilometres from the city of Reggio, in front of the strait of Messina.
It is composed of two parts: the downtown, where the church of the patronal saint is located, and Marina di Scilla, the beach-front. The Ruffo Castle, a fortress built by the Dukes of Calabria overlooks the beach.
- Visit the Archaeological Museum (€ 8. 00 per person). The famous Riace Bronzes are marvelous statues of warriors made in the 5th century BC and found in the Ionian Sea near Riace in 1972; the various levels of the Museum show precious and interesting finds from the cities of the Magna Graecia of Calabria.
- At the end of the visit, walk along the promenade with a spectacular view of Sicily.
- Continue to Corso Garibaldi is the main street of the city, the shopping street and the main monuments: Theater, Cathedral and historic buildings. (Estimated time for this visit about 2 hours and a half)
- Lunch break in a typical restaurant.
- In the afternoon, continuation for Scilla. The town is divided in two by the Rocca dei Ruffo.
The walk through the alleys of Scilla is exciting: the sea always next door, the old houses that tell stories of life, the fishermen who still fish the swordfish with the traditional method, make it a unique experience. (Estimated time for this visit about 1 hour and a half).
Meeting Location + Tour Duration
Meeting location: at the travellers accommodation or other meeting location upon request
End location: at the travellers accommodation or other meeting location upon request
Duration: 7 hours 30 min.
Private transpotation by a Mercedes sedan or minivan
Estimated Local Cash Needed
5 euros - Cost of the admission fee at the National Archaeological Museum of Reggio Calabria.
I am not a driver, I can provide transportation through professional companies that work with me