MER to Laxey + SMR to summit + 5 mile walk back to Laxey + MER back to Douglas
Catch the Manx Electric Railway from Douglas to Laxey, where we change on to the SMR for the breathtaking spiralling 30-minute climb to the 2036' summit of Snaefell. If a clear day, we take in views of much of the island, as well as surrounding nations, and enjoy refreshments in the cafe. Our descent on foot passes the TT course at the Bungalow (1300'), crossing to old Snaefell mine and along the miners' trail to the remote and scenic village of Agneash, then down to Laxey station. (Alternatively, if feeling in good shape we can climb the mountain and ride down!) Our final leg takes us back to Douglas on the MER.
- Manx Electric Railway from Douglas to Laxey (30 mins); wonderful coastal scenery.
- Change tramcars at Laxey station to Snaefell Mountain Railway
- Ascend on SMR to summit of Snaefell (30 mins) with superb hill views.
- After refreshments and viewing at top, a 5 mile walk descending via Agneash village back to Laxey.
- MER from Laxey back to Douglas (30 mins).
- NB. Tour only operates April - September; trams do not run in winter months.
Meeting Location + Tour Duration
Meeting location: Please let me know if you'd like to meet at your Douglas hotel, or at the Douglas MER station at the N end of the promenade.
End location: I am happy to walk you back to your hotel in Douglas. Alternatively, if you prefer, the tour can end at Douglas MER station.
Duration: 6 hours
This tour can only operate from April to October due to tramcar timetables and likely weather.
- 3 rides on heritage tramcars (2 x MER + SMR).
- 5 mile walk descending from Snaefell summit back to Laxey. First half of descent on uneven and fairly steep terrain - walking boots strongly recommended. Second half of walk along tracks or quiet road.
Estimated Local Cash Needed
5 GBP - for refreshments at Laxey or the Summit Cafe on Snaefell.
A Recent Review of this tour
Read More Reviews For This Tour
Consistent with other tour the day before. And, courteous, and again full of knowledge that fit the tour just right.