hidden gems and flavors of the Ionian coast
A tasty day to enjoy the excellence of the typical products of the Ionian Coast of Puglia:
- goat and cow's milk dairy products and aged cheeses (ricotta, giuncata, cacioricotta, canestrato, mozzarella, caciocavallo, etc. );
- extra-virgin olive oil;
- white, rosè and red wines made with Negroamaro, Primitivo, Fiano and Black Malvasia grapes.
At lunch you choose among a light lunch at a winery, a seafood lunch at an informal restaurant on the bay of Sant'Isidoro, a gourmet one with evo pairing at a masseria (a typical farmhouse) renovated with a contemporary design, a unique culinary experience of a menu made with fish cold cuts "created" by the young and passionate chef of a family run restaurant in the surroundings of Gallipoli.
During the day it's possible to enjoy the Natural Park of Porto Selvaggio (with its cliffs, the unpolluted nature, the turquoise sea, the coastal watching towers built against the attacks of the Turkish pirats, the liberty style villas) and the baroque city center of Nardò.
In the morning we will enjoy the breathtaking views of the seaside from the cliffs of Porto Selvaggio and the visit to a small family run cheese farm near the seaside to see the mozzarella making process and cheese tasting.
Depending on the choice as regard as the lunch, the afternoon will be dedicated to:
- the baroque city center of Nardò;
- an extra-virgin olive oil tasting in one of the few oil bar in Italy at a masseria (the same mentioned among the different lunch options) in the countryside of Nardò;
- a (or even two) winery visit and a wine tasting.
It's also possible to modify the tour with a swim at the seaside, a visit to the lively and baroque Gallipoli (with an ancient undergound olive oil mill), Galatina (called the southern Assisi for the astonishing frescoes of the Basilica of Santa Caterina d'Alessandria), the Museum of Memory and Welcome of Santa Maria del Bagno with the memories of this post World War II displaced person camp which guests 150, 000 Jews from 1943 to 1947.
Meeting Location + Tour Duration
Meeting location: at your hotel (or wherever you like) in Gallipoli, Nardò, Galatina, Lecce and Salento.
End location: at your hotel (or wherever you like) in Gallipoli, Nardò, Galatina, Lecce and Salento.
Duration: 8 hours
This tour is a full day one but it can be reduced to an half day one visiting only a couple of places mentioned.
For this tour you need a transfer. If you have a vechicle I can come with you otherwise I can arrange for you the transportation by car, van, minibus, bus, wheelchair accessible vehicle, bike, Electric pedal assisted cycle, segway, scooter, vintage car or vespa, etc.
full day (up to 8 hours) private (I'll be entirely dedicated to you thus you won't share the tour with other travellers) guided visit in English language. I'm a licensed tour guide, wine and olive oil sommelier.
Estimated Local Cash Needed
30 EUR - average cost for the wine, olive oil and cheese tasting
- cheese tasting is for free but it's appreciated if you buy something;
- wine tasting (about 3 or 4 wines with taralli breadsticks): from 10 to 15 Eur per person;
- extra-virgin olive oil tasting: 15 € per person including a hot and cold appetizers;
- lunch: from 20 to 40 € depending on the menu and the restaurant;
- personal extras (shopping, etc.);
- extra hour: 30 eur (per group, not per person) for each extra hour (if any) exceding 8 hours;
- transportation: to be quoted.
A Recent Review of this tour
Read More Reviews For This Tour
Our guide Alessandro was fantastic. He is most knowledgeable and gave us an amazing tour. Nothing was too much trouble for him and he took us to all the right places that we asked him and we would highly recommend him to anyone wishing an exciting day out. He also took us for a most unusual lunch which was enjoyed by us all. The wine tastings were different and excellent but my highlight of the day was tasting olive oil and cheese accompanied by a delicious glass of wine which complimented the cheese.