RusArt private tour
I am pleased to introduce my very special RUSART tour as it is all about my favorite Russian Art and architecture. The tour gives complete and comprehensive understanding of Russian Art, its development and history, full of dramatic twists. Russian art is really unique as it has successfully covered the huge gap in between European Secular Art of Enlightenment and medieval religious art of Moskovian Rus in 1, 5 centuries only! Although the very first secular pictures and sculptures appeared in Russia not until Peter the Great times (18th cent) and were quite awkward, by the middle of the 19th century Russian Academy of Fine Arts managed to achieve the same level with the European Academies and eventually came to the very foreground of avant-garde in the beginning of the 20th century. Russian Museum is the best place to trace the development of Russian art from medieval icons to such names as Malevich (his famous Black Square is here on display), Roerich, Vrubel, Filonov, Faberge and many others.
The tour starts in the morning, we visit:
- Kazansky Cathedral (built "of Russian materials and by a Russian architect", as the donator insisted, it became the center of religious life).
- Russian Museum: 400 000 items of Russian art only are on display in the Russian Louvre - thus we name the Russian Museum, opened by Nicholas II in honor of his father.
- Savior on the Spilt Blood (Resurrection) Cathedral/Dormition Orthodox Church:
- Lunch (optional);
- Faberge Museum: opened recently, it is private owned by V. Vekselberg, who managed to to purchase the collection of 9 imperial Easter Eggs from M. Forbes family and acquired an outstanding collection of 3000 items, all produced in Russia (19th-20th cc), all taken out of the country by the immigrants after 1917.
- Subway ride (optional);
- Russian Academy of Fine Arts visit.
Meeting Location + Tour Duration
Meeting location: Cruise Ship Port or the hotel, or any place you stay in.
End location: End location: Cruise Ship port/hotel or any place in the city on our way or upon your request.
Duration: 7 hours
Weather, traffic, service time in a restaurant might affect the duration of the tour (apprx. half an hour).
By car (for 1-3 people, C/D/E level sedan air-conditioned car, not older than 5 years) or van (for 4 and more guests, air-conditioned, not older than 5 years) and an experienced driver.
By subway (a part of city tour, optional, can be canceled) - a few stations only;
Walking - from the allowed car stop place to the entrance of the museum; upon your request or when desired and agreed.
- Transportation by a comfortable air-conditioned car/mini-van (including pick-up and drop off).
- All the tickets needed to entrance the places; guiding.
- Still water (a bottle per person a day);
- Lunch in a lovely authentic place for you to try traditional Russian Cuisine. The lunch might be a set offer or 1 dish (main course/soup/salad) + bread + a drink.
- Token price for a subway ride (may be included to your tour upon you request).
- All the transport fees (rapid road fee, parking fee, fuel cost, tax).
Estimated Local Cash Needed
1500 RUR - Comment: 1500 RUR are approx. 25USD. The cash may be needed to buy snack/coffee once or twice during the day, or add something to your lunch, or to buy something in a church. According to the local law, any transactions in foreign cash are forbidden. In most of the restaurants, Visa and MasterCard are accepted (Note: American Express cards are NOT widely accepted). For your convenience, we may have a stop to withdraw cash from the ATM.
- Personal Expenses (souvenirs, beverages like vodka or liquor, clothes, etc.)
- Entrance Fees in case you want to visit other places (not listed in the Itinerary)
Extra activity like a photo shooting by the professional photographer who makes pictures for my profile, may be included upon your request. Duration: 3 hours (approx.). Call me if you want me to arrange it for you in advance.
I am not a driver. I can arrange for a separate car or van and an experienced driver.
I am not permitted to guide in the Russian language in Peterhof, Catherine's palace, Usupov Palace, Savior on Spilt Blood Cath. - only English (inside).