Rediscover the magic of the Lord of the Rings with one of New Zealand's most experienced and passionate LOTR tour guides.
I've been guiding LOTR tours in New Zealand since 2002, and have been reading J. R. R. Tolkien's books for much longer than that! In 1999 I was lucky enough to play an Uruk-Hai extra at Amon Hen, the climactic battle of The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring.
As this may be your only chance to visit Wellington, we make the most of this all day exploration of the Wellington film industry and filming locations with a full 10 hour experience! If you don't have time, contact me directly - I'm happy to tailor make a shorter tour to suit your specific needs.
We will visit Weta Workshop, the Roxy Cinema and the best Lord of the Rings Filming Locations in Wellington and the Hutt Valley, where you can take lots of photos, see how scenes were created, and even reenact the scenes if you wish!
Start in central Wellington
- Mount Victoria summit lookout
- Wellington Town Belt for our first filming locations:
"Shortcut to mushrooms" & "Get off the road!"
"Sam! Wood-Elves!" scene
Fleeing the Ringwraiths - "Right, Buckleberry Ferry!"
- Weta Workshop, creators of physical props and digital effects for LOTR and many other films to enjoy a behind the scenes tour and special documentary.
- Lunch at the beautiful Roxy Cinema - my favourite cinema and a must see for film buffs.
- Owhiro Bay, aka The Black Gate.
- Poet's Park, aka the River Anduin.
- Harcourt Park, aka the Gardens of Isengard, home to the wizard Saruman.
- Upper Hutt where Aragorn was rescued by the horse, Brego.
- Kaitoke Regional Park for a light picnic of coffee/tea and light refreshments, before exploring Rivendell, one of the most beautiful places in all Middle-earth!
- Hutt River at a secret location from The Two Towers - Extended Edition
Finish back in Wellington City
Meeting Location + Tour Duration
Meeting location: Staying in Wellington: I can collect you from anywhere in the CBD, or Wellington Airport.
Cruise Passengers: I can collect you from right alongside the ship.
End location: I can either bring you back to where we started, or drop you somewhere in the city.
Duration: 10 hours
Allow 10 hours for this comprehensive day tour. If you are on a cruise ship and need to be back sooner, we can customise the tour to fit with your needs.
Beautiful black late model Mercedes-Benz Viano minivan, with privacy glass and black leather interior. Limo style seating, premium sound system, air-conditioned front and rear. 4/5 seats in the rear, 1 more seat beside the driver.
Estimated Local Cash Needed
25 New Zealand Dollars - You will surely need a souvenir at the Weta Cave!
As a licensed guide, I have no restrictions.