Royalty, Vikings, Castles and Hamlet - major sights outside Copenhagen
On this tour, we will visit the most important sights outside Copenhagen, while spending a nice day with our own bus at our own pace.
The tour will be adjusted to fit your interests, but at a normal pace we will be able to cover the highlights of Roskilde (Cathedral and Viking Museum), Frederiksborg Castle and reach Kronborg into the inner court yard (but not go inside the actual building). Plus see things on the way, including a short stop at Fredensborg Slot, the summer residence of the royal family.
Depending on our pace (and your hunger!), we will have lunch at either at a "viking restaurant" (Old, new Nordic cuisine!) or a traditional Danish restaurant serving smørrebrød and other things - both very recommendable.
- Roskilde Domkirke - the most important church in Denmark, going 1000 years back, and the site where the Danish kings and queens are buried Unesco World Heritage Site.
- The Viking Ship Museum and "viking shipyard" in Roskilde - most important Viking museum in Denmark
- Frederiksborg Slot - the magnificent renaissance castle with it's baroque garden, hosting 500 years of Danish history through its collection of historical paintings, portraits, furniture and more.
- Fredensborg Slot (a quick stop on the way) - the Spring and Fall residence of the royal family.
- Kronborg - also known as Hamlet's castle - guarding the narrow strait between Denmark and Sweden (we see the castle and surroundings, but do not have time to go inside). Unesco World Heritage Site.
- Driving on the most important stretch of "Strandvejen" - the coastal route back to Copenhagen with the most exclusive (and expensive) houses in Denmark.
This tour can be adjusted - a popular variation is to dive into Kronborg at the expense of Roskilde.
Meeting Location + Tour Duration
Meeting location: I and the bus will meet you in your hotel in greater Copenhagen (or cruise ship if that applies)
End location: You probably would like to go back to your hotel after the tour, but I can also let you of at nice restaurant, Tivoli or what you prefer (we can talk about that on the way back).
Duration: 8 hours
If you wish, we can shorten the tour to 7 hours in which case the price will be USD 1370. In that case, we will have to limit ourselves to two out of the (maximum) three destinations. Let me know what your wishes are!
In order to reach the sights in the opening hours, this tour doesn't start before 9 and doesn't end after 18 - so a good starting time would be 9, 9.30 or 10.
Be aware that sometimes we can not enter Roskilde Domkirke due to services (but most of the time we manage).
Modern bus with driver.
Walking inside the sights.
Modern bus with A/C with a professional, insured driver
Time to ask all those questions about Danish culture and society that you like!
A personal printed guide to the Vesterbro district with its best cafés, restaurant and bars to be explored after your tour.
A personal guide on "suggestions on what to do after a tour with me"!
A map of the city.
Estimated Local Cash Needed
400 DKK - You don't really need any local cash as all things can be paid for by international credit cards (Visa, Mastercard but not always American Express), or worst case, I pay and you pay me back in your currency.
Entrances, lunch and snacks are not included in the tour price. Per person that should amount to 130 dkk for Viking Ship museum, around 160 dkk for lunch and 75 dkk for Frederiksborg Slot plus possibly snacks and souvenirs. I will be able to get some discounts on the tickets when we are there. This can be paid with international visa or master card, although the lunch comes with a little credit card surcharge.
I will not drive myself but hire a driver and van (or accompany you in your vehicle) on the tours that requires driving. (Both for insurance reasons and because I like to focus on the guiding).
A Recent Review of this tour
Read More Reviews For This Tour
jens was an excellent tour guide. my family and i enjoyed our 2 days spent together exploring copenhagen and the surrounding areas. he took the time to understand our interests and tailored the tour accordingly. thank you for a wonderful time!