Discover the essence of Cordoba - leisurely walking tour.
CORDOBA - a remarkable city on the banks of the Guadalquiver river which is steeped in history, romance and intrigue. The Romans were here and the Visigoths, before the city was captured by Muslim forces in the year 712 AD and later became the capital of the Muslim empire in Europe in the year 750 AD.
Cordoba was a city of enlightenment during the dark ages when Christian, Muslim and Jewish populations lived in relative peace for over 300 years. It was finally re-conquered by the Christian king, Fernando III in 1236 and its 'Christian Alcazar' was completed during the reign of King Alfonso XI 90 years later in 1326.
The most famous building in Cordoba however has to be 'The Mezquita', the 500 year old Catholic Cathedral built inside a 1200 year old Mosque and which is quite righlty a World Heritage site of great acclaim.
On this Tour we will take a full day to stroll liesurely through the historic streets of Cordoba and you will have time to enter and enjoy all of its most important buildings and monuments.
1. We will start in the 'barrio' of San Basilio and visit a beautiful example of 'The Patios' that Cordoba is famous for.
2. Next we will visit the 16th century Royal Stables, built by Philip II and which are now an equestrian centre housing the famous dancing horses of Andalucia.
3. You will then visit the Alcazar of the Christian Kings, a royal palace and gardens built in the 15th century and one of the sites where Christopher Columbus presented his plans to King Ferdinad and Queen Isabella.
4. Next we will visit the old Jewish Quarter of Cordoba and visit the 14th Century Synagogue, 1 of only 3 medieval synagogues still standing in Spain.
5. We will then walk to the Roman Bridge and you can take photos of The Mezquita before we then take a walk around the outside of the Mezquita itself, discussing its history and some of its amazing architecture.
7. We will then finish our Tour in the 'Lane of the Flowers', where you can take the photo that captures the essence of Cordoba perfectly.
Meeting Location + Tour Duration
Meeting location: We will meet at the Seville Gate, (Puerta de Sevilla), unless we have made a previous agreement with clients to meet them at their hotel or train station.
End location: We will end the Tour in the centre of Cordoba at the Mezquita unless we have made a previous agreement with clients to return them to their hotel.
Duration: 3 hours
3 hour walking tour of Cordoba.
Visits to all the most important monuments except the inside of The Mezquita. If you would like to visit The Mezquita, please book my full day tour.
My time and guidance.
Tour given by native english speaker.
Estimated Local Cash Needed
5 euros per person. - Entrance fees to The Alcazar of The Christian Monarchs and The 14th Century Synagogue.
Entrance fees to monuments.
Food and drinks.
Guide requirements for Spain.
A Recent Review of this tour
Read More Reviews For This Tour
We have been convinced that these tours are very cost effective when it comes to finding out about a city quickly and without having to hunt around for hours to get to the right place. Our friends had never been on one fo the 'tours by locals' tours and weren't convinced.......This changed their mind completely!!!!