All you want to know about windmills, water and polders
During this wonderful private daytour in the area North of Amsterdam, you will find out everything you always wanted to know about the Dutch polders, the windmills and the fight against the water. How did the Dutch create their low country? How did they live in the area behind the dykes and below sealevel? When did it all start?
I will answer all these questions during an interesting tour that will bring us to the historical coast of the Zuiderzee including the former fishing village of Marken. We will visit Zaanse Schans, to admire the view of the beautiful river Zaan with its collection of historical mills. We will enter one of the mills and see how they produce natural paint. After this impressive stop we will continue across the Beemster Polder (Unesco World Heritage List) to the 17th century whalers' center De Rijp, where we will have lunch.
By the end of the day you will have an everlasting impression of the countryside around Amsterdam!
We will travel by comfortable minivan and start from your hotel.
From your Amsterdam hotel or your cruiseship in the port of Amsterdam:
* start of a beautiful roadtrip by comfortable minivan along the narrow countryroads behind the old seadyke of the former Zuiderzee to the former Island of Marken
* guided walk of the historical fishingvillage of Marken
* guided walk of Zaanse Schans, with its interesting collection of historical wooden houses and impressive windmills
* visit of one of the windmills
* drive across the Beemsterpolder, one of the highlights of the Unesco World's Heritage list
* guided walk in De Rijp, 17th century whalers' center
* lunch in traditional Dutch restaurant
* if time permits: visit to Schermerhorn
*I can always customize this tour to your personal wishes and interests, so please let me know your preferences.
Meeting Location + Tour Duration
Meeting location: The lobby of your hotel in Amsterdam or the docking place of your cruiseship in Amsterdam.
If you want to meet me at the Cruise Terminal, please let me know the name of your ship.
End location: The lobby of your hotel in Amsterdam or the docking place of your cruiseship in Amsterdam.
Duration: 8 hours
We will use a professional driver and comfortable air-conditioned 8 passengers Mercedes MPV Viano minivan.
If this tour is for 2 persons only, we will use a comfortable Mercedes E-class.
Estimated Local Cash Needed
20 euros - this is the price of an average lunch
any other expenses for souvenirs depend on your own preferences
A Recent Review of this tour
Read More Reviews For This Tour
Marianne was very accomodating and really worked hard to adjust to our schedule changes and our 87 year old mother. She is very knowledgable about Amsterdam, the History of Amsterdam and the Netherlands in general. We really loved going out into the country side and the entire day. Highly Recommended.