Óbidos, Nazaré, Alcobaça, Batalha and Fátima
Óbidos lies one hour away from Lisbon, a magnificent medieval town, to be explored on foot. Then Nazaré, a beautiful sightseeing spot of the Atlantic Ocean, made world famous by its huge waves for surfers.
We will guide you to Alcobaça, famous for its 12th century monastery. This monastery is not only a beautiful architectural example, but it has also the monuments in memory of King D. Pedro I and D. Inês de Castro (characters of a true romantic Portuguese story from the 14th century, very similar to "Romeo and Juliet"). A magnificent stone handwork.
Next to Alcobaça is Batalha where you will visit another marvellous monastery, built between the 14th and the 15th centuries. The Monastery of Batalha is the best example in Portugal of the late gothic Portuguese style, where we can find a mix of the gothic style with the Manueline decoration - symbol of the Portuguese maritime expansion.
Finally, we will get to Fátima and its Sanctuary, the site where Our Lady of Fátima appeared in 1917.
We may start the opposite order from the one presented in the description;
- Fátima, altar of the catholic world. Esplanade, Chapel where Our Lady of The Rosary appeared to the children, Basilica where the seers are buried. Valinhos where we visit the homes of thelittle shepperds.
- Batalha late gothic monastery. Essential to the understanding of Portugal's glorious past.
- Nazaré sandy beach and former tradicional fishing village. Ideal to taste the wellknown portuguese fish stew or sardines.
- Alcobaça Monastery, cisterciencer abbey considered the best preserved in the world.
- Óbidos medieval walled town. Taste the tradicional Ginginha.
Meeting Location + Tour Duration
Meeting location: Any point indicated by the participants, hotel, pier, appartment or other location in Lisbon
End location: Any point indicated by the participants, in the metropolitan area of Lisbon
Duration: 9 hours
Mercedes Viano Ambiente. Brand new of Feb 2011. 8 Individual leather seats. Fully air conditioned. 2 lateral acessible doors.
Estimated Local Cash Needed
14 Euros - Entrance regular fees to Batalha and Alcobaça monasteries
I do have no restrictions.
As a National Official Tour guide I may give tours all over Portugal.
I am also certified to conduct Tours in Spain and the rest of Europe ( I have led Tours in France and Italy ).
A Recent Review of this tour
Read More Reviews For This Tour
Carla is very knowledgeable. She gave an excellent explanation of all the places we visited during that day. She was also very flexible in planning the places we mostly wanted to visit. Despite the rainy weather and the fact that we had to give up Nazare , we all enjoyed the tour very much. I would not hesitate to recommend Carla to anyone for this tour.