I got a BA in Archaeology and History of Art with a dissertation on burials ad sanctos; after that, I took a MA in Archaeology and History of Art with a dissertation on the imperial and late roman amphoras from the Catacomb of San Gennaro in Naples, both degrees are from University of Naples Federico II. Through these studies I found commercial relationship within Naples and the other cities along the Mediterrean Sea during the Roman Empire. I obtained also the Diploma in Archaeology of Scuola di Specializzazione at University of Campania (Naples). I am running now a project for the restoration of an ancient Pompeii's building and its opening to the public.
- I did many archaeological surveys and excavations throughout Italy: Molise, Rome, Napoli, Pompei, Pollena Trocchia, Cimitile, Sorrento.
- The municipality of City of Pompeii has awarded me the Prize for great and honorable guide and we are proud of it! (Oct 2019)
- In September 2019 the Nobel Prize for Medicine 2011 Dr. B. Beutler was with us for a tour of Pompeii. (see pics on the slideshow)
- I am also the owner of the project "Naples Grand Tour", a team of guides all specialized in archaeology, history, art and local culture!
I travelled a lot, living for two years in London where I worked as conservator-restorer for the HMS Belfast better known as Imperial War Museum. Both travels and the experience of living abroad have made me understand how lucky I am to live in Naples! It's a city with a unique charm, where you can breathe history and art in every street corner, a place where people's energies are so strong and powerful that you can feel at home everywhere and in every moment of the day. A city, maybe, one of the most important in Europe and Italy, an unformed diamond waiting to be crafted.
My strongest passion are archaeology and art. I love my land and I could not choose better job than this, where I can show the beauties, the story, the archaeology, the art, I can tell the tales and legends, I can bring you through the secret and veiled wonders of this place.
Perhaps there's art in my DNA, or maybe I was born in the art. When I was a child, I was fascinated staring at my father when he was painting, watching colors mixing between themselves on a canvas, tasting theirs smell. On the side of my studies about classical archaeology and history of art, I love so deep the late Manierism and the Baroque in art.
I am taking also a rediscovering of typical products of my land, as ' Pomodorino del Piennolo del Vesuvio ', one of the many exellences of Campania. For this reason I am the President of the association ' Le Ali della Terra ', that has to restore the unworked lands with clean coltures as the Piennolo's tomatoes.
I love my job as a tour guide so much to get excited all the time! Meeting new people is a power skill of this job.
If you are not looking for a common tour guide, but you're looking for an archaeologist and art historian then you are in the right profile!
A Recent Review of this guide
Raffaele was eminently knowledgeable and enthusiastic guide. He was able to answer pretty much all questions and provided plenty of background information. We allowed him to plan the visit, and he did a very good job taking us to places he regarded as the most interesting ones. He has worked in the excavations for several years, and it shows in his expertise. I can sincerely recommend him if one wants to get the most out of the visit to Pompei.
- Licensed Tourist Guide
- Bachelor degree in Archeology and History of Art at University Federico II of Naples - Dissertation about late roman burials
- Master Degree in Archeology and Cultural Heritage at University Federico II of Naples - Dissertation about roman pottery
- PhD/School of Specialization in Archeology at University of Campania Luigi Vanvitelli - Dissertation about Pompeii (Bath House)