A Day Trip to Germany's Most Spectacular Castle with a Private Guide
This is the classic tour to fairy tale castles of King Ludwig II of Bavaria. We will visit spectacular Neuschwanstein, opulent Linderhof and the wonderful village of Oberammergau. For other options for Neuschwanstein see below.
On the classic tour we head first through the beautiful Bavarian countryside to Neuschwanstein for a late morning tour inside the famous "Disney" castle. Lunch Bavarian Style is next, and then we travel via Austria and a spectacular alpine lake to Linderhof, the small palace where Ludwig actually lived. We top the day off with a visit to the charming town of Oberammergau, famous for the Passion Play, wood carvings and Lüftlmalerei (wall paintings).
Other trips (please see "Itinerary" for details):
1. NEUSCHWANSTEIN & HOHENSCHWANGAU
2. NEUSCHWANSTEIN + CASTLE RUINS
3. KIDS & CASTLES
Base price may be more for larger groups (larger vehicle).
VARIATIONS WITH NEUSCHWANSTEIN
1. A more relaxed way to see the fairy tale castle is the NEUSCHWANSTEIN & HOHENSCHWANGAU tour. You also tour the castle where Ludwig spent his childhood summers and visit the Wieskirche, which is a UNESCO site.
2. If medieval castles are your passion, then you will enjoy the NEUSCHWANSTEIN + CASTLE RUINS tour. It is the fairy tale castle in the morning and three different castle ruins in the afternoon. This tour does involve some very short hikes.
3. If you are a family that wants to learn all about King Ludwig's castles but also do something active for the kids, then the KIDS & CASTLES tour is for you. After touring the castle we have a fun afternoon activity for the kids. Possibilities include summer toboggan runs, climbing forests, challenging climbing towers and zip lines - all in panoramic alpine areas.
For more of King Ludwig, please also see my trips to Chiemsee and the Zugspitze.
Meeting Point + Tour Duration
Meeting Point Options: Rail or Bus Station, Hotel, Address or Intersection, Monument/Building
End Point Options: Rail or Bus Station, Hotel, Address or Intersection, Monument/Building
Duration: 9 hours 30 min.
Traffic can be unpredictable.
Estimated Local Cash Needed
30 EURO - Food, Beverages, Souvenirs
A Recent Review of this tour
Read More Reviews For This Tour
Our day with Kevin was great! He is pleasant, knowledgeable and knows how to make the day go smoothly. Kevin was also helpful in taking photos of our group and filled in travel time with interesting historical facts. He knew where to take us for good views, local food and nice shops. There were four adults in our group and we all give Kevin our highest recommendations!