An unforgettable experience in the unique atmosphere of the Sassi.
We will visit a beautiful UNESCO place like the Sassi of Matera: SASSI represent an extraordinary urban ecosystem capable of perpetuating the farthest prehistoric past ways of living in caves up to modernity.
Known as "la Città Sotterranea" (the Subterranean City), Matera is well known for being one of the oldest inhabited cities in the world. On October 17, 2014, Matera was declared Italian host of European Capital of Culture for 2019.
I can create a customized tour for you in case you have special requests.
- San Pietro Barisano Church;
- First Artesan Atelier and "Sassi in Miniatura";
- Panoramic walk to Sasso Caveoso and beautiful view of Sassi;
- Piazza Vittorio Veneto;
- Palazzo Lanfranchi;
- Purgatory Church;
- Palombaro lungo;
- Cave Dwelling of Vico Solitario;
- Madonna de Idris Church (optionally)
- Second Artesan Atelier;
- Santa Lucia alle Malve Church;
- Cathedral (optionally)
Meeting Location + Tour Duration
Meeting location: Customized
End location: Customized
Duration: 3 hours 30 min.
- Complete tour of the Sassi area (Sasso Barisano e Sasso Caveoso), at least two rupestrian churchs between San Pietro Barisano, Santa Lucia alle Malve, Santa Maria De Idris and San Giovanni in Monterone, the Cave Dwelling of Vico Solitario.
- Visit of the City Center: Piazza Vittorio Veneto, Chiesa del Purgatorio, Palazzo Lanfranchi, Piazzetta Pascoli,
- Optionally: visit of the "Civita". It's the highest part of Matera where you can visit the "Duomo" (Cathedral). There are many steps to get this place.
- Visit of two Artesan Ateliers
Estimated Local Cash Needed
10 EUR - Entrance fee to two of the most important Rupestrian Churches (Madonna de Idris e San Giovanni in Monterrone, Santa Lucia alle Malve, San Pietro Barisano), to Cave Dwelling of Vico Solitario, and to Palombaro Lungo; Price per person.
Entrance fee for two of the most important Rupestrian Churches between Madonna de Idris e San Giovanni in Monterrone, Santa Lucia alle Malve, San Pietro Barisano 5€
Entrance fee to Palombaro Lungo 3€
Entrance fee to Cave dwelling of Vico Solitario 2€
A Recent Review of this tour
Read More Reviews For This Tour
Giorgio is a terrific guide with a deep appreciation of the local customs and people to complement his extensive site specific knowledge. He is also warm, funny and smart. We loved our tour of Matera with him.