An unforgettable experience in the unique atmosphere of the Sassi.
We will visit a beautiful UNESCO place like the Sassi of Matera: SASSI represent an extraordinary urban ecosystem capable of perpetuating the farthest prehistoric past ways of living in caves up to modernity.
Known as "la Città Sotterranea" (the Subterranean City), Matera is well known for being one of the oldest inhabited cities in the world. On October 17, 2014, Matera was declared Italian host of European Capital of Culture for 2019.
I can create a customized tour for you in case you have special requests or if you are more than 3 people and need a larger vehicle.
3 hours tour
- San Pietro Barisano Church;
- First Artesan Atelier and "Sassi in Miniatura";
- Panoramic walk to Sasso Caveoso and beautiful view of Sassi;
- Piazza Vittorio Veneto;
- Palazzo Lanfranchi;
- Purgatory Church;
- Palombaro lungo;
- Cave Dwelling of Vico Solitario;
- Madonna de Idris Church (optionally);
- Second Artesan Atlier;
- Santa Lucia alle Malve Church;
- Cathedral (optionally)
Meeting Location + Tour Duration
Meeting location: Customized
End location: Customized
Duration: 5 hours
To be quoted (For this kind of tour you need a transfer. If you have a vechicle I can come with you otherwise I can arrange for you the transportation by car, van, minibus, bus, etc.)
- Complete tour of the Sassi area (Sasso Barisano e Sasso Caveoso), at least two rupestrian churchs between San Pietro Barisano, Santa Lucia alle Malve, Santa Maria De Idris and San Giovanni in Monterone, the Cave Dwelling of Vico Solitario.
- Visit of the City Center: Piazza Vittorio Veneto, Chiesa del Purgatorio, Palazzo Lanfranchi, Piazzetta Pascoli,
- Optionally: visit of the "Civita". It's the highest part of Matera where you can visit the "Duomo" (Cathedral). There are many steps to get this place.
- Visit of two Artesan Ateliers
- Friendly and free transoprtation from/to meeting point
Estimated Local Cash Needed
10 EUR - Entrance fee to two of the most important Rupestrian Churches (Madonna de Idris e San Giovanni in Monterrone, Santa Lucia alle Malve, San Pietro Barisano), to Cave Dwelling of Vico Solitario, and to Palombaro Lungo; Price per person.
transportation: to be quoted;
Entrance fee for two of the most important Rupestrian Churches between Madonna de Idris e San Giovanni in Monterrone, Santa Lucia alle Malve, San Pietro Barisano 5€
Entrance fee to Cave dwelling of Vico Solitario 3€
- IN BARI: WALKING TOUR AND FOOD TASTE IN THE OLD TOWN.
You can choose beetween:
A) Pasta making, Pasta taste and red wine in a typical family house in the old town of Bari;
B) Pasta making and Complete meal: Pasta, local "tapas" and red wine in a typical family house in the old town of Bari + ice cream taste;
A Recent Review of this tour
Read More Reviews For This Tour
Giorgio and Govanna went above and beyond to give us an unforgettable day. We visited my husband's (very small) heritage village in southern Italy and they took the time to visit the village several months ahead of our tour to prepare. They met with the town clerk, looked for genealogical records, found the house where my husband's great grandparents lived, and provided a welcoming environment for us. We are so grateful for their enthusiasm about history and making local connections. Great experience!