2 amazing Unesco sites in a day
In a day you will discover probably the most appreciated and magic tourist destination of this area.
Matera: a magic, unique town of stone that has been chosen as natural set for several movies (such as Mel Gibson's "The Passion of the Christ") with its two old districts called Sassi (that means stones) that have been declared, in 1993, Unesco world heritage site because they represent "the most outstanding, intact example of a troglodyte settlement in the Mediterranean region, perfectly adapted to its terrain and ecosystem".
The historic city center of Alberobello is an Unesco World Heritage site because of its trulli (there are about 1. 500): a unique kind of dry stone (without any mortar) conical roof buildings that have survived quite intact and functioning into the modern world.
A tour to discover the trulli (their history, architecture, the mystery and symbolism of their finials) and to enjoy the fairy tale atmosphere of this amazing hamlet.
In the morning we will visit Matera with the Unesco districts (Sasso Caveoso and Barisano): a unique experience among rupestrian (carved in the rocks) churches and houses partly carved in the calcareous stone and partly built with the blocks extracted from the rock.
We will enjoy a stroll along the panoramic street overlooking the canyon and in the ghost town used as movie set, the visit of one (or more) rupestrian church, of a typically furnished cave dwelling to understand the life of a peasant family until the 2nd World War.
We can also visit the medieval and the baroque part of the city, the belvedere to admire the stunning skyline of the city.
For lunch I suggest a quick and tasty focaccia at a bakery (matera is renowned for its bread and focaccia).
In Alberobello we will visit the two old districts of Trulli: Aia Piccola and Monti. Some other alternatives: a wine and/or olive oil tasting, a quick stop in Polignano a Mare to enjoy the breathtaking view of the seaside from the terraces up on the cliffs.
Meeting Location + Tour Duration
Meeting location: at the cruise terminal of Bari or wherever you like in Bari
End location: at the cruise terminal of Bari or wherever you like in Bari
Duration: 8 hours
This full day tour is designed for a shore excursion with the cruise ship docked at the port of Bari at least 7 hours.
I can change the program according to your availlable time: please contact me for alternative programs and costs.
a comfortable car (5 seats: driver plus 4 passengers) equipped with all conforts (air conditioning, etc.)
- full day (up to 8 hours) private (I'll be entirely dedicated to you thus you won't share the tour with other travellers) guided visit in English language. I'm a licensed tour guide, wine and olive oil sommelier.
- transportation (by car) for the itinerary Bari cruise terminal, Matera, Alberobello, Bari cruise terminal.
Estimated Local Cash Needed
20 Eur - it depends if you like to stop for a meal, a snack, a wine tasting, etc.
- extra hour: 25 eur (per group, not per person) for each extra hour (if any) exceding 8 hours;
- entrance fee: I suggest 1 or 2 rupestrian churches (3 € for 1 church, 5 € for 2, 6 € for 3), a typically furnished cave dwelling (3 €);
- focaccia (similar to a pizza without mozzarella) at a bakery: a few Eur;
- wine tasting (about 3 or 4 wines with taralli breadsticks): from 6 to 15 Eur per person (it depends on the wines);
- extra-virgin olive oil tasting: free of charge but it's appreciated if you buy something;
- for a different itinerary or if your group is 5 or larger, I can arrange for you the appropriate transportation (with van, minibus, bus, wheelchair accessible vehicle), please contact me for a customized tour that is appropriately priced for your group.
A Recent Review of this tour
Read More Reviews For This Tour
Great all-day tour! Alessandro was very prompt and knowledgeable. Enjoyed by all!