Astounding 6th century rock sculptures
This travel program aims to get you up close and personal with the pulse of South India. We will explore Mahabalipuram, an UNESCO World Heritage site, an area 'considered to be of outstanding value to humanity. ' Mahabalipuram was an important ancient port which was well known to the ancient Romans and Greeks. Mahabalipuram is today renowned the world over for its exquisite 6th century rock cut temples and intricate statues of stone. On the way, we visit a "living museum" of South India, Dakshin Chitra to enable an understanding of South Indian lifestyles. We can, after exploring Mamamalapuram, visit a rural agrarian village where you can witness traditional farming techniques and communal lifestyles. You can interact with traditional farmers, get a glimpse of India's caste system, and look into chores, rituals and festivals associated with everyday life in India.
Please note that the visit to the rural village depends on many factors beyond my control that can be determined only on the day of the tour.
- We will depart Chennai after breakfast and drive down the scenic East Coast Road.
- The first stop is the Madras Crocodile Bank, a reptile zoo and herpetology research station.
- We then arrive at Mahabalipuram where we spend time exploring ancient rock cut temples and exquisite sculptures. We will delve into the history of the Pallavas, an ancient dynasty that once ruled an extensive part of India and beyond.
- We will then pay a visit to a rural agrarian village, where we will interact with farmers and their families to understand how life in India has been for many centuries and also to look into traditional customs and practices of Indian families.
- We will return to Chennai for dinner.
*Note that a visit to the village depends on many factors that can be determined only on the day of the tour. This includes and is not limited to events such as marriages, political road shows, etc.
Meeting Point + Tour Duration
Meeting Point Options: Rail or Bus Station, Cruise Ship Port, Airport, Hotel, Address or Intersection, Monument/Building
End Point Options: Rail or Bus Station, Cruise Ship Port, Airport, Hotel, Address or Intersection, Monument/Building
Duration: 7 hours
The normal duration of the tour is about 6-8 hours, including travel time from Chennai.
Modern Compact SUV, Honda WRV.
Estimated Local Cash Needed
5000 INR - Fees for cameras etc in sites, wherever applicable. It also will cover a meal in a good restaurant. Other expenses not included here are shopping expenditure and for items of personal nature.
- Personal Expenses
- Food, Drinks, Snacks
A Recent Review of this tour
Read More Reviews For This Tour
Chandan is simply fantastic. The three of us did not want the tour to end. He was knowledgeable about the spaces we were traveling to and, most important, he is super friendly and a great conversationalist. In other words, a great guide. It is hard to pick what was the highlight of the tour. Mahabalipuram is amazing but we were equally impressed by the houses from different regions park - it sounds odd but it was super interesting. Really got a sense of the place with Chandan. Definitely recommend!