a toast to the glories of the past
This shore excursion is the right mix or archaeology, history, art, architecture, wine, food and traditional crafts.
We will enjoy the archaeological findings dating back from the Roman domination (when Brindisi was the most important port to go to the Orient and Lecce one of the most important city as evidenced by its amphitheater and theater), the heritage of the Knights Templars and crusades, the beauty and the abundance of the Baroque style expressed in the civil and religious architecture.
During the tour we can stop to visit an artisan workshop (to admire the world famous papier-maché, to find the real Made in Italy at an atelier with excellent natural fabrics), to taste the typical "street food" (the salty Rustico, the sweet Pasticciotto), a coffee at an artisanal roasting bar, excellent wines (made with indigenous grapes: Primitivo, Negroamaro, Susumaniello, Minutolo, Verdeca, Ottavianello, Malvasia nera di Brindisi, etc. ), extra-virgin olive oil, cheese, cold cuts, ice-cream.
The tour of Lecce includes the most important monuments (Sant'Oronzo square, Roman Amphitheatre, Roman Theatre, Celestini Palace, Holy Cross Basilica with its wonderfull baroque facade, the stunning Duomo square) and, if you like, also some notable palaces, churches (S. Irene, S. Matteo, S. Chiara), the Triumphal arch of Porta Napoli, the Jewish heritage, the Museum Faggiano with more than 2. 000 years of history discovered by accident.
In Brindisi we will visit the church of St. Benedict (one of the most important Apulian Romanesque church with the fine decorated portal and medieval cloister), the Norman temple of S. Giovanni al Sepolcro, the archeological site of San Pietro degli Schiavoni, Granafei Nervegna Palace, Duomo square (with the cathedral, the seminary palace, the so called Portico of the Knights Templar), the terminal columns of the Appian Way, and, down the steps of Virgilio, we will arrive at the promenade alongside the sea. During the tour we can enjoy a wine and/or culinary experience.
Meeting Location + Tour Duration
Meeting location: at the port of Brindisi or wherever you like in Brindisi
End location: at the port of Brindisi or wherever you like in Brindisi
Duration: 8 hours
This full day tour is designed for a shore excursion with the cruise ship docked at the port of Brindisi at least 6 hours. I can change the program according to your availlable time: please contact me for alternative programs and costs.
a comfortable car (5 seats: driver plus 4 passengers) equipped with all conforts (air conditioning, etc.)
- full day (up to 8 hours) private (I'll be entirely dedicated to you thus you won't share the tour with other travellers) guided visit in English language. I'm a licensed tour guide, wine and olive oil sommelier.
- transportation (by car) for the following itinerary included: Brindisi port-Lecce-Brindisi port
Estimated Local Cash Needed
10 EUR - it depends if you like to stop for a meal, a snack, a wine tasting, etc.
- meals and personal extras;
- extra hour: 25 eur (per group, not per person) for each extra hour (if any) exceding 8 hours;
- cheese tasting (mozzarella, caciocavallo, etc.): from 3 to 10 Eur per person;
- wine tasting (about 3 or 4 wines with taralli breadsticks): from 10 to 15 Eur per person;
- extra-virgin olive oil tasting: free of charge but it's appreciated if you buy something;
- for a different itinerary or if your group is 5 or larger, I can arrange for you the appropriate transportation (with van, minibus, bus, wheelchair accessible vehicle), please contact me for a customized tour that is appropriately priced for your group.
A Recent Review of this tour
Read More Reviews For This Tour
It was a pleasure to have worked with Alessandro. He not only showed us around in Lecce and Otranto, but also brought us to the restaurant where he celebrated his wedding. What a nice and gorgeous place! And the food! Really outstanding. We can highly recommend him for tours.