Museums / Culture, Local Experience, Hiking and Walking, Day Trip / Out of Town
Kid Friendly: Yes. Kids will love the Manx Electric ride, and also going up the wheel. It's quite high so parental supervision essential. Also not for vertigo sufferers. Children will need to be able to walk (or be carried!) 3 miles around Laxey too.
Maximum travelers: 10
Electric tram out and back + 3 mile walk around Laxey
We catch the Manx Electric Railway and head north from Douglas for 8 miles, enjoying fine views of both sea and hills. After 30 minutes we arrive in Laxey and walk from the station up to see the massive Laxey Wheel, built in 1854 to pump water from a mine. We learn how Laxey was transformed from a quiet fishing village into a hive of industry in the mid-19th century mining and exporting lead and silver. Now a quiet spacious spot once again, we stroll downhill to the sea, where there's time for a cuppa or ice cream, before climbing to the station for the tramcar back to Douglas.
- travel north from Douglas on Manx Electric Railway to Laxey, 8 miles / 30 minutes
- exploring Laxey on foot:
- Great Laxey Wheel
- old washing floors of mining industry
- stroll through wooded glen
- picturesque Laxey harbour
- Laxey promenade (with refreshment option)
- return on MER to Douglas
Meeting Location + Tour Duration
Meeting location: I can meet you either at your Douglas hotel, or if you prefer at the Douglas Manx Electric Railway station at the northern end of Douglas Promenade.
End location: According to your preference, the tour will end back at your hotel, or at Douglas MER station.
Duration: 3 hours
The 3 hours excludes entrance to Laxey Wheel site for a closer look at the Wheel - add around 30 minutes for this. Add a further 30 minutes if you'd like to explore the old mine building further up the valley.
- MER tram from Douglas to Laxey and return (8 miles each way).
- A walk of some 3 miles around Laxey village, gentle gradient down to the promenade and then back up to the station.
- MER only operates April to October, and Laxey Wheel is also only open for the same period.
Estimated Local Cash Needed
5 £ - Admission to Laxey Wheel site. Additionally do bring a further £5-£10 if you wish to buy lunch or refreshments in Laxey.