Former Jewish district and the artistic centre of Krakow
The former Jewish quarter in Kazimierz (district of Kraków) is one of the best preserved Jewish quarters in Europe. Kazimierz (name after Kazimierz the Great, the last Piast and one of the greatest rulers in Polish history) used to be an independent city and from 15th century, a flourishing centre of Jewish religion and culture. The policy of religious tolerance allowed diverse groups of Jewish refugees from all over Europe to come and settle in Poland. Kazimierz became a safe paradise, dominated with the Jews. Today, however very few Jews live in Kazimierz, the district plays role of the artistic centre of Krakow and lots of bars, cafes and Jewish style restaurants help to feel its atmosphere. Your guide will also help you to recognize some of the sights that appeared in the Oscars winning "Schindler's list" movie which was shot in this area.
- if the tour start in the Old Town area, we have to walk to Kazimierz district first (southwards of the Old Town, 20-30min. walk),
- walk along narrow streets and yards of the Jewish quarter in order to find traces of the past and the "Schindler's List" sites,
- visit the Tempel Synagouge which was used by the reformed Jewish community,
- visit to the Remuh Synagogue - the only active one in Kraków,
- sightseeing of the Szeroka Street - the heart of the Jewish Quarter,
- walk over a bridge to Podgórze where the Residential Jewish District (ghetto) existed in years 1941 - 1943,
- walk to Zabłocie to see the famous Schindler's Factory.
You can stay for lunch/dinner in a Jewish style restaurant afterwards or continue sightseeing of the museum in the Schindler's Factory on own.
Synagogues are closed on all Saturdays and other Jewish holidays.
Meeting Location + Tour Duration
Meeting location: Your hotel if the hotel is in the city centre or any place in Kazimierz district.
End location: Szeroka Street in the Jewish quarter or the Schindler's Factory
Duration: 3 hours
Guided tour lead by a professional city guide covering the Jewish quarter in Kazimierz & ghetto in Podgórze.
Estimated Local Cash Needed
20 PLN - Entrance tickets to two synagogues
Entrance ticktet to the Tempel Synagogue.
Entrance ticket to the Remuh Synagogue & Remuh Cemetery