Colours, history and culture
We will drive along Quebrada de Humahuaca (Humahuaca's gorge), UNESCO World Heritage, because of its unique landscape and rich history, that starts 12. 000 years ago.
It was scenary of the Inca's conquerors, the Spanish colonisation and the independence wars.
The beauty of the colourful mountains is breathtaking, changing in every turn of the road.
All the small towns are charming and have something special to show us, like Purmamarca, with its Seven colours mountain ; Tilcara with its archeological site ; Uquia with the church and the american barroque art ; and Humahuaca, with the monument and the markets.
Departing from Salta, we will drive to San Salvador de Jujuy, where we will enter into the mountains, driving along Humahuaca's gorge.
- Purmamarca: we will visit beautiful town, amazingly well located at the base of the Seven colours mountain. We can do an hour walk around this mountain, or spend time in the colourful market in town.
- Tilcara: we will visit the archeological site called Pucara de Tilcara, occupied from the year 1000 until the arrival of the Spaniards.
- Huacalera: we will pass the Capricorn Tropic here.
- Uquia: we will visit a colonial church, decorated with old paintings of american barroc art
- Humahuaca: the small streets, the markets and the monument to the heroes of the independence are the main attractions.
Maimará: we will do a short stop to take photos of the Paintors palet mountains.
Returning to Salta, we can follow the cornisa road, in the sub-tropical forest. This will depend on weather conditions and time.
Meeting Location + Tour Duration
Meeting location: I will pick you up at your hotel in Salta or nearby
End location: I can leave you at your hotel
Duration: 10 hours
The duation can vary according with traffic problem or weather conditions.
Transportation in 4x4 car
English, Spanish, Italian and French speaking guide
Estimated Local Cash Needed
400 ARS - 100 ARS Tilcara archeological site entrance fee
300 ARS For food and beverages
Food and beverages
A Recent Review of this tour
Read More Reviews For This Tour
Graciela is an easy going person and an extremely knowledgeable guide. She explained to us lots of things related to the places where she drove us, from history to geography, local economy and society. Stopped patiently whenever we wanted to take pictures - our hobby. Thanks a lot Graciela for this experience, you are the best!