Cordoba - The Mezquita and much more - leisurely walking tour.
CORDOBA - a remarkable city on the banks of the Guadalquiver river which is steeped in history, romance and intrigue. The Romans were here and the Visigoths, before the city was captured by Muslim forces in the year 712 AD and later became the capital of the Muslim empire in Europe in the year 750 AD.
Cordoba was a city of enlightenment during the dark ages when Christian, Muslim and Jewish populations lived in relative peace for over 300 years. It was finally re-conquered by the Christian king, Fernando III in 1236 and its 'Christian Alcazar' was completed during the reign of King Alfonso XI 90 years later in 1326.
The most famous building in Cordoba however has to be 'The Mezquita', the 500 year old Catholic Cathedral built inside a 1200 year old Mosque and which is quite righlty a World Heritage site of great acclaim.
On this Tour we will take a full day to stroll liesurely through the historic streets of Cordoba and you will have time to enter and enjoy all of its most important buildings and monuments
1. We will start in the 'barrio' of San Basilio and visit a beautiful example of 'The Patios' that Cordoba is famous for.
2. Next we will visit the 16th century Royal Stables, built by Philip II and which are now an equestrian centre housing the famous dancing horses of Andalucia.
3. You will then visit the Alcazar of the Christian Kings, a royal palace and gardens built in the 15th century and one of the sites where Christopher Columbus presented his plans to King Ferdinad and Queen Isabella.
4. Next we will visit the old Jewish Quarter of Cordoba and visit the 14th Century Synagogue, 1 of only 3 medieval synagogues still standing in Spain.
5. From here we will visit the Roman Bridge and finish our morning in the 'Lane of the Flowers', where you can take the photo that captures the essence of Cordoba perfectly.
6. We will then take a tapas lunch in the shadow of The Mezquita itself.
7. After lunch we will look at some of the amazing architecture of the Mezquita before you then enter the building.
Meeting Location + Tour Duration
Meeting location: We will meet at the Seville Gate, (Puerta de Sevilla), entrance to the historic centre of Cordoba unless we have made a previous agreement with clients to collect them from their hotel.
End location: We will end the tour in the center of Cordoba at the Mezquita unless we have made a previous agreement with clients to return them to their hotel.
Duration: 6 hours
Full day walking tour of Cordoba.
Visits to all the most important monuments (entrance fees NOT included).
My time and guidance.
Tour given by native English speaker.
Estimated Local Cash Needed
30 EUR per person - 15 euros for entrance to all monuments and another 15 euros for the tapas lunch.
The cost of lunch depends on the amount of tapas and drinks ordered.
Entrance fees to monuments.
Food and drinks.
Guide requirements for Spain.
A Recent Review of this tour
Read More Reviews For This Tour
*** Highly Recommended *** Barry offers an amazing six hour tour of Cordoba and our party of six are so glad we were able to explore this beautiful city with such an expert host. He is extremely knowledgeable about the city and its history and culture. He is proud of his adopted home of Cordoba and his pride shines when he shares the beauty and wonder of the city with you. All interactions were prompt and professional; Barry is personable, knowledgeable, and has a great sense of humor.