Origins and rise of the Catholic church from the time of Constantine the Great to the late medieval period
With the edict of Milan, declared in the 313 A. D. by the Roman Emperor Constantine (306-337), the days of bloody Christian persecutions came to an end. Since that moment, Rome would never be the same! The Emperor commissioned the construction of the world's first Christian basilica, St. John in Lateran, and it was the Pope's official residence for the first millennium of Christian history! This tour is aimed at unveiling the beauty of the Christian Heritage, by discovering the Cathedral of St. John in Lateran and the Basilica of the Holy Cross of Jerusalem. These churches usually are not on the tourist map but in my opinion it should be on the top of the list for anyone wishing to be totally amazed and inspired simply because each church preserve a fascinating collection of sculptures, mosaic decorations and paintings covering more than 15 centuries of art history but also the relics of the Crucifixion that St Helena brought back from Jerusalem and the full-sized replica of the Shroud of Turin!
* The "Papal Basilica" of St. John in Lateran (San Giovanni in Laterano) - the mother and first of all the churches in Rome and around all over the world (omnium urbis et orbis ecclesiarum mater et caput)
* Holy Stairs ("Scala Santa") - which are said to have been climbed by Jesus in Jerusalem. For many centuries this was the spot most visited by pilgrims who still climb the stairs on their knees
* The Basilica of Holy Cross of Jerusalem (Santa Croce in Gerusalemme) - one of the most important sites of pilgrimage in Rome. In this church we will visit the Chapel of St. Helen and especially that one of the Relics.
Meeting Point + Tour Duration
Meeting Point Options: Hotel, Address or Intersection, Monument/Building
End Point Options: Hotel, Address or Intersection, Monument/Building
Duration: 3 hours
THIS IS A WALKING TOUR
*** IMPORTANT ***
I can accommodate various groups of travelers. If you have specific transportation requirements, pricing inquiries or if your preferred start time isn't listed, please send me an email by clicking on the 'MESSAGE ME' button that's listed on my tour page and profile. I will reply to you promptly. Thanks!
- Guiding Services
Estimated Local Cash Needed
5 EUR - Upon request we can visit also:
- the cloister of St. John in Lateran (open until 6 pm) - entrance fee is € 2
- Public Transportation Tickets
- Food, Drinks, Snacks
*** PLEASE NOTE *** I am not a driver. If requested I can provide you a transportation with a luxury and air-conditioned Mercedes Minivan with a professional driver, except for the VIP Private Tours where the transportation is included.
A Recent Review of this tour
Read More Reviews For This Tour
This was our second trip to Rome, and the second time we've worked with Dino- I think that should say it all! Anyone who says they have visited enough churches, has never gone with Dino. Two of the highlights were St. John Lateran and Basilica of the Holy Cross in Jerusalem-Santa Croce.