Enjoy a tour through the old harbor of Amsterdam and visit my chocolate & spice shop for a tasting.
My wife and I both work as guides for ToursByLocals and recenty opened a chocolate and spice shop
in the old harbour of Amsterdam, the Red Light District.
We developed a unique program which is a mix of a private tour and chocolate and spice tasting.
The first part of the program we will walk through the Red Light District where I will show you this area like no other local can. At the moment the district is changing fast due to a large gentrification project from the Amsterdam city council.
This tour is an ideal mix of history, local hotspots, changes in the area and stories about the city that became the richest town in the world due to the trade in spices, and still has the largest cacao habor in the world.
During the (mini) chocolate & spice tasting (+- 15min) you will taste the original spices from the Spice Islands (former colony of the Netherlands), like black pepper, nutmeg and clove. And you can taste a variety of fair trade single origin chocolates and one of our delicious home made bonbons.
○ Private tour in the old city center, with highlights of the VOC (Former East Dutch India Company)
○ Smell, touch and taste different spices from the Spice Islands (Moluccan Islands).
○ Learn about the story of the VOC (Dutch East India Company) and how this influenced the world wide cuisine
○ Try out different single origin chocolates: chocolates with different spices and different percentages of cacao, until 100%. For every tasting one of our brands will plant one tree in the rainforest.
Please note: my wife, Salomé, offers a different version of this tour on the ToursByLocals platform. If you would like a shorter tour and a more extensive chocolate tasting, you can look up her profile.
Meeting Location + Tour Duration
Meeting location: Damrak 247. About 5 min. walking from Amsterdam's Central Station, or 2 min. from Dam Square.
Start at your hotel: only if it is located in the 1012 zip code area. Please mail me to see if this is possible.
End location: Our chocolate shop (near the Old Church/Oude Kerk), or if you like I can bring you back to the start location or to Dam Square.
Duration: 2 hours
- I don't guide in museums
- I don't own a car but if necessary can arrange transfer. Do notice: public transport is pretty good arranged in Holland and usually cheaper.