Enjoy a tour through the old harbor of Amsterdam and visit my chocolate & spice shop for a tasting.
My wife and I both work as guides for ToursByLocals and recenty opened a chocolate and spice shop
in the old harbour of Amsterdam, the Red Light District.
We developed a unique program which is a mix of a private tour and chocolate and spice tasting.
The first part of the program we will walk through the Red Light District where I will show you this area like no other local can. At the moment the district is changing fast due to a large gentrification project from the Amsterdam city council.
This tour is an ideal mix of history, local hotspots, changes in the area and stories about the city that became the richest town in the world due to the trade in spices, and still has the largest cacao habor in the world.
During the (mini) chocolate & spice tasting (+- 15min) you will taste the original spices from the Spice Islands (former colony of the Netherlands), like black pepper, nutmeg and clove. And you can taste a variety of fair trade single origin chocolates and one of our delicious home made bonbons.
○ Private tour in the old city center, with highlights of the VOC (Former East Dutch India Company)
○ Smell, touch and taste different spices from the Spice Islands (Moluccan Islands).
○ Learn about the story of the VOC (Dutch East India Company) and how this influenced the world wide cuisine
○ Try out different single origin chocolates: chocolates with different spices and different percentages of cacao, until 100%. For every tasting one of our brands will plant one tree in the rainforest.
Please note: my wife, Salomé, offers a different version of this tour on the ToursByLocals platform. If you would like a shorter tour and a more extensive chocolate tasting, you can look up her profile.
Meeting Point + Tour Duration
Meeting Point Options: Hotel, Suggested by Guide: Damrak 247. About 5 min. walking from Amsterdam's Central Station, or 2 min. from Dam Square. Look for the tower with the clock. I will be standing at the bench, in front of the 'Rent a Bike Shop'. I will be wearing a black cap and a Tours by Locals ID.
End Point Options: Hotel
Duration: 2 hours
- I don't guide in museums
- I don't own a car but if necessary can arrange transfer. Do notice: public transport is pretty good arranged in Holland and usually cheaper.
A Recent Review of this tour
Read More Reviews For This Tour
Recently home from a great weekend in Amsterdam. Traveled with a small group of friends. Selected a tour with Ian W. from being on a tour a few years ago. He was the only guide I wanted to contact for a tour. He is friendly and has good humor and really knows his information. Learned many of the secrets of the old Amsterdam and the Red Light area. Then a chocolate tasting of some very good quality in Cacao & Spice. The owner is lovely and passionate about her products. Highly recommend this tour!