Come learn in a delicious way about Amsterdam's history and the trade in spices
Stimulate all your senses in this private chocolate & spice tour and tasting! Our chocolate & spice shop is located in the old harbour of Amsterdam, the Red Light District.
From the 17th century the United Dutch East India Company (VOC) had a monopoly position on the trade in spices, that made Amsterdam a rich and powerful city.
Nowadays Amsterdam has the biggest cacao harbour in the world. In the private tour we will pass by places important to the VOC/Golden Century, some even connected to my family!
In the chocolate & spice tasting you will learn/taste about the VOC spices, single origin chocolates and ofcourse taste our delicious home made bonbons.
My husband, Ian, comes from a chocolate family. Growing up, one of his big dreams was to open a chocolate store once. We chose to combine his dream with my background: my family comes from the spice islands (the Moluccan islands), a former colony of the Netherlands, and still own a clove plantation.
Enjoy a tasty and interesting program!
- private tour with highlights of the VOC (Former East Dutch India Company)
- smell, touch and taste different spices from the Spice Islands (Moluccan Islands).
- learn about the story of the VOC (Dutch East India Company) and how this influenced the world wide cuisine
- try out different single origin chocolates: chocolates with different spices and different percentages of cacao, until 100%. For every tasting one of our brands will plant one tree in the rainforest.
- taste some of our home made chocolates (we also have vegan bonbons)
Meeting Location + Tour Duration
Meeting location: Damrak 247
About 5 min. walking from Amsterdam's Central Station, or 2 min. from Dam Square.
Start at your hotel: only if it is located in the 1012 zip code area. Please mail me to see if this is possible.
End location: We can bring you back to Damrak 247 (start location), or Dam Square.
Duration: 1 hour 30 min.
The tour is about 1 hour, the tasting about 30 minutes.
- private tour
- taste/learn about the VOC spices > spices from the former United Dutch East India Company
- try a raw cacao bean
- taste/learn about different single origin chocolates
- taste some of our delicious home made chocolates
- one hot chocolate or tea
- one bonbon or chocolate to take home (different choices)
- there is no toilet
- there is no real seating, the tasting will be located around a standing table.
Estimated Local Cash Needed
3 Euro - Only if you like to drink something during the tour, or perhaps buy a souvenir.
If you like we can make a stop for a drink or a snack.
Easy walking shoes are handy in Amsterdam (old streets), and perhaps an umbrella when rain is expected.
-I don't own a car and offer only walking tours in and around the city of Amsterdam. I can accompany you traveling by public transport or taxi.
-I do not guide within museums.