One step further into an authentic Japanese experience
In this tour, you can have an authentic Japanese calligraphy experience followed by a 4 hours guided tour in a beautiful and less crowded area of Kyoto.
You can learn the basic of Japanese writing, the history of Japanese characters as well as part of the history of Japan.
Here are the details of my lesson:
- Learn about the history of calligraphy
- Watch the teacher moves, listen to the teacher advices and learn the basic techniques and knowledge.
- Practice and try to follow the teacher's advices
- Create your own masterpiece on a Japanese paper board or scroll paper and bring it back home.
Here are the details of the places I am going to take you:
- Sanju-sangendo temple (It is the temple having 1, 001 statues of Kannon. )
- Chishakuin-temple (It is the temple famous for national heritage paintings. )
- Fushimi Inari shrine (One of the most popular spots in Kyoto, well known as 1, 000 torii gates. )
- Meet up at JR Kyoto station or your hotel
- Train to Fushimi Inari shrine
- Fushimi Inari shrine
- Take a train to Calligraphy workshop place
- Calligraphy lesson (around 90mins)
- Lunch break at a local restaurant
- Sanjju-sangendo temple
- Chishakuin temple or walk around Gion area
- Finish our tour in the city centre
Meeting Point + Tour Duration
Meeting Point Options: Rail or Bus Station, Hotel, Suggested by Guide: Normally I will pick you up at your hotel. If our tour time is limited, I might ask you to meet up at Saga-Arashiyama station to save time.
End Point Options: Rail or Bus Station, Hotel
Duration: 6 hours
Public bus and train
** In this tour, we might walk a lot.
If necessary, we can also take taxies at any points. Please feel free to inquire me the price of taxies and I will customize this tour for you.
- Guiding Services
Estimated Local Cash Needed
14000 JPY - - Meals (around 1,500 yen per person)
- Transportation fees (around 1,000 yen for round tickets)
- Entrance fee (around 1,000 yen per person)
Approximately it costs 3,500 yen per person.
- Personal Expenses
- Public Transportation Tickets
- Food, Drinks, Snacks
- I am not a driver, but I can arrange for a separate car and driver.
- I could help you to book some restaurants or events if needed. However, depending on the booking requests, I will charge the additional fee as concierge service.
A Recent Review of this tour
Read More Reviews For This Tour
Mari is poster lady for Tour by Locals!! Mari was courteous, knowledgeable and ready to accommodate my interests. I had a great time learning calligraphy and she then took me to two shrines that I had never seen. Perfect experience with a wonderful guide