Whale Valley (Wadi Al-Hitan), Wadi Rayan, Tunis Pottery Village
Come with me on a tour to the Whale Valley, Wadi Rayan Protected Area and Tunis Pottery Village. Designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 2005, the Whale Valley is a strictly protected zone that contains invaluable fossils of the earliest, extinct whales. The fossils represent one of the major stories of evolution: the emergence of the whale as an ocean-going mammal from a previous life as a land-based animal. The presence of fossils of other early animals like sharks, crocodiles, saw fish and turtles makes it possible to reconstruct the surrounding environment and ecological conditions of that time (40 million years ago).
Go around Wadi Rayan, a natural depression 43 meters below sea level, the waterfalls and the lakes. Visit Tunis Pottery Village where a Swiss potter, Evelyne Porret, moved in in the 1960s and built a pottery studio.
See my tour of the Whale Valley with Taylor and Kayla, owners of the travel blog the wanderingroute: https://thewanderingroute. com
- Pick up at the hotel. Drive straight to Fayoum. Get on board a 4X4 land cruiser and proceed to the Whale Valley. Visit the Climatic Change Museum at the Whale Valley.
- Explore the Whale Valley, one of the best places on earth to vividly show the evolution of whales. It's in this amazing valley that scientists have identified more than 400 types of whale and cow skeletons, other bones and shells and plant fossils. Some of them are preserved in soft rock.
- Head to Wadi El-Rayan, a natural depression. Sea the beautiful lakes and waterfalls. Enjoy the spectacular scenery where deep blue waters meet yellow desert sand.
- Head to Tunis Pottery Village and learn how people make nice pottery (you may even make your own pottery).
- Stop for lunch (optional - you pay extra).
- Drive back to the hotel.
Meeting Location + Tour Duration
Meeting location: The lobby of the hotel
End location: The lobby of the hotel
Duration: 9 hours
You must be able to get in and out of a car/minibus
- Entrance fees
- Hotel pick up and drop off
- All my services as your private tour guide
- Car park tickets
- Taxes and permissions
Estimated Local Cash Needed
300 Egyptian pounds - Lunch and beverages
A Recent Review of this tour
Read More Reviews For This Tour
Tarek was waiting for us when we arrived in the hotel reception area as agreed. We were early and he was already there. The trip was a bespoke trip that I had asked Tarek to arrange. I have arthritis and need to constantly rest my knee which I had explained beforehand. Nothing was too much trouble for Tarek and you can see that he's very experienced in how he organises himself. I contacted several guides and companies and I know that with Tarek we made the right choice. We will use him again.