But even with the endless urban treats on offer, after a while (and especially in the summer!) many Torontonians find themselves looking for escapes from the city. Toronto is an excellent base for exploring some of Southern Ontario’s most interesting attractions. Today our Toronto-based guide, Adeodata, shares some of her favourite Toronto Day Trips with us.
• Niagara Falls and Niagara-on-the-Lake. Niagara Falls is, of course, a world famous natural attraction. But have you been to the charming and historic town of Niagara-on-the-Lake? Located in between Toronto and the Falls, this is the heart of Ontario’s wine country, and has been voted Canada’s prettiest town.
• Sainte-Marie among the Hurons. Located near Midland in the beautiful Southern Georgian Bay area, this world-renowned reconstruction illustrates the earliest interaction of the French and Wendat nations. A great family activity, a visit here will expose you to 17th century Canadian pioneer life.
• Village of St. Jacobs. Experience Canada’s largest year-round farmer’s market in the Mennonite village of St. Jacob’s where you can find everything from home-baked bread to local produce and high quality crafts. This historic market town is a favourite rural destination for Torontonians.
• One hour from downtown Toronto lies the McMichael Gallery, the perfect gallery for an introduction to Canada's art, its peoples, their cultures and their history. The gallery’s permanent collection consists of almost 6,000 artworks by Tom Thomson, the Group of Seven, their contemporaries, and First Nations, Inuit and other artists who have made a contribution to Canada's artistic heritage.
• For a day that the kids will love, try an expedition to African Lion Safari. Many Toronto adults have fond memories of children’s birthday parties and family trips to this well-established safari park in Southern Ontario. You stay in your car while the animals (including elephants, giraffes, monkeys, lions and more) roam free around you.
If you’re hoping to get out of Toronto and experience some of the wonderful Southern Ontario daytrips on offer, be sure to chat with Adeodata. You can contact her here: Adeodata’s Guide Profile Page.