full Day - 5/6 hours
Full day guided tour in Ravenna is the best way to discover the beauty and magic of Byzantine Mosaics and not only in Ravenna!
A guided walk through the old city centre with lunch and a pause for practical demonstration of mosaic -making technique, enjoyng and understanding the enormous history and the quiet rhythm of life in Ravenna.
The full day guided tour includes:
• Church of S. Vitale commissioned by the Emperor Justinian from Byzantium. In the mosaics here he is masterfully depicted with his fabulous wife Theodora.
• Mausoleum of Galla Placidia, A powerful building created to honour the resilient and colourful empress of the Western Roman Empire.
• Neoniano Baptistery close to the ancient Cathedral and decorated by even more wonderful mosaics
• Basilica of Sant'Apollinare Nuovo which was the private chapel of the Ostrogoths King Theoderic.
• Basilica of Saint Francis, Dantesque Zone and the tomb of the father of the Italian Language Dante Alighieri.
• Basilica of St Apollinare in Classe Astonishing 1500-year old Basilica that was built when Ravenna was Capital of Byzantine Bishopric.
• A guided walk through the old city centre with a pause and a practical demonstration of mosaic -making technique, enjoyng and understanding the enormous history and the quiet rhythm of life in Ravenna.
• Lunch in the city centre
Meeting Location + Tour Duration
Meeting location: Ravenna citycentre or On request
End location: Ravenna citycentre or On request
Duration: 5 hours
walking (short distance) and public transport
Estimated Local Cash Needed
40 Euro - Admission fee per person Ravenna Monumets Euro 15,50. Around Euro 20,00 per person for a proper lunch.
I am not a driver. I can accompany you in your vehicle or I can arrange for a separate car and driver.
A Recent Review of this tour
Read More Reviews For This Tour
Fantastic guid showing a deep knowledge of mosaics