Amsterdam, the first planned city of the modern age, has a rich and intriguing history which will fascinate visitors of all ages.
The city started off as a small village in an unfavourable geographical position and grew into becoming the wealthy capital of a commercial empire. Amsterdam was the birthplace of the first multinational company in the world, as well as the seat of the first stock exchange in history.
This walking tour includes an extensive description of the city's main buildings, monuments, and neighbourhoods. It will focus mostly on the historical events that led to the development of the sights you will be enjoying.
Come and join me if you feel like learning how this beautiful city came to be, and how it has reached its current status.
- Central District - This is the city's oldest district, which developed between the 13th and 16th centuries. Here one can admire several important sights such as the Royal Palace, Amsterdam's two medieval churches, Amsterdam's two oldest houses and much more. . .
- Canal Belt - probably the city's most famous icon: these three rings of elegant canals were built for the rich families in the 17th century, when Amsterdam's wealth was at its peak.
- Jordaan District - This quiet neighbourhood is located in the western part of the city. Once the city's poorest neighbourhood, it is now a trendy area full of art galleries, ateliers, and more traditional "Brown Cafe's".
- Museum District - A neighbourhood located in the southern part of the city, it is home to some of Amsterdam's most famous museums, such as the Rijksmuseum (National Gallery), the Stedelijk Museum (Modern and Contemporary Art), and the Van Gogh Museum.
- Central District - The idea is to finish the tour where it started.
Meeting Location + Tour Duration
Meeting location: The ideal starting point for this tour is Dam Square, the main central square in the city.
However, I may come and pick you up at a specific location if close to the center.
End location: The ideal ending point would be Dam Square, however, I am flexible towards changing the location based on your personal requests.
Duration: 4 hours 30 min.
The tour is flexible and can be extended if you wish.
This is a walking tour.
Estimated Local Cash Needed
20 Euro - You may want to carry some cash on you in case you wish to purchase some snacks, drinks, or souvenirs.