Full day tour to Ypres, Passendaele, Tyne Cot, Hill 62, Trenches, Flanders Fields Museum and more with private guide
Walking around this pretty Belgian city, it is hard to imagine the incredible highs and lows it has endured. Extreme wealth in the Middle Ages and then, less than one hundred years ago, reduced to rubble during World War I. It is a fitting reminder of people's resilience and their ability to bounce back from adversity. Today, the Ypres Salient battlefields in Flanders, Belgium, are among the most visited on the entire Old Front Line. In the trenches all around Ypres extremely bloody battles were fought and left their traces in the landscape around Ypres.
Every evening at 8pm since 1928, the Last Post has been sounded under the imposing memorial arches of the Menin Gate. The Last Post is the traditional salute to the fallen and is played in honour of the memory of the soldiers of the then British Empire, who fought and died in Ypres.
* Start from your hotel in Bruges or Brussels and drive to Ypres
* Self-audio-guided tour of "In Flanders Fields Museum"
* Walk through Menin Gate and stroll along the 17th century city ramparts
* Enter the casemates (vaulted chambers) and optional stop to sip a local beer
* Free time for lunch on the city main square by the renovated Cloth Hall, an important symbol of wartime hardship and later recovery.
* In the afternoon we continue to Passendaele and Tyne Cot Commonwealth Cemetery
* Last but not least we walk through a well-preserved trench system and somehow picture what soldiers endured.
* Return to your hotel in Bruges or Brussels.
Meeting Location + Tour Duration
Meeting location: Any place of your choice in central or northern Belgium (Brussels, Ghent, Bruges etc.)
End location: Any place of your choice in central or northern Belgium (Brussels, Ghent, Bruges etc.)
Duration: 9 hours 30 min.
You may either start this tour in the early morning or later, depending on wether you wish to attend the Last Post ceremony at the Menin Gate or not.
9:30AM - 6:30PM
12PM - 09:30PM
We are not responsible for delays due to events beyond our control (weather conditions, road blocks, traffic etc.)
I use a Kia Sportage (1 to 3 clients) or a Citroen Picasso (4 clients). In case number is larger than 4, please contact me.
Estimated Local Cash Needed
30 euros - Entrance fee to the Flanders Fields museum (per person)
Entrance fee to Hill 62 Sanctuary Wood Museum (trenches)
Lunch, personal expenses, souvenirs
Please check my calendar for availability.
For walking tours taken between October and March - in case of bad rainy, snowy, windy cold weather, we might either shorten the walks or visit indoor sites instead.
A Recent Review of this tour
Read More Reviews For This Tour
Joyce was a wonderful guide. She shared her knowledge about the area, the history, it's languages and helped give us a broader perspective on the sites we were visiting. Also, Joyce was flexible and really tailored the tour to what we wanted to see. We even were able to adjust the time of pick up and drop off - to accommodate our wishes.