L'Enfant's legacy and findings of Mr. Wright
Amazing what architects can do with swampland.
In 1791, George Washington handpicked Pierre L'Enfant to lay out a plan for the capital city, which was once marshy and muddy. The Frenchman was fired a year later for his stubborn ways, yet despite this his blueprints stayed. Today, the numbered and lettered streets contain some design standouts that L'Enfant never imagined: namely Modernist, Gothic, Renaissance and Second Empire styles mixed in among the predominant neoclassical design.
Sights we cover on this tour :
• Smithsonian Castle & Smithsonian Garden
• Arts and Industries Building
• Hirshhorn Museum
• National Air and Space Museum
• National Gallery of Art East and West Buildings
• National Museum of the American Indian
• Bartholdi Park Walking tour
• United States Botanic Garden
• United States Capitol Building
• Library of Congress
Meeting Location + Tour Duration
Meeting location: At client's hotel or as agreed upon location
End location: As agreed upon location.
Duration: 6 hours
Transportation by comfortable a/c SUV.
Estimated Local Cash Needed
30 USA Dollars - snacks, souvenirs, entry fees, etc