The Jews in Warsaw - their Culture and History
The tour focuses on the traces of the Jewish community in Warsaw, their history, their rich culture, their contribution into the life of the whole society. It also includes the places connected with the horror of Holocaust: the ghetto area with Umschlagplatz, from where people were transported to Treblinka extermination camp.
You will see very few survived fragments of pre-war "Jewish Warsaw": tenement houses around Grzybowski Square, Nozyk orthodox synagogue, fragments of tram lines going through Nalewki Street (center of Jewish quarter before WW II). You will be guided through old Jewish cemetery and see the fragments of the ghetto wall and the monuments that mark the route of martyrdom of the Polish Jews during Nazi occupation. I will show you archive photos so you could compare them with present views.
PLEASE NOTE - this tour is not available on Saturdays (cemetery, synagogue and Jewish Institute are closed).
I also recommend visiting Treblinka extermination camp - see my tour 420717.
*Próżna Street - center of pre-war cultural and trade life
*Nozyk synagogue - the only one synagogue that survived the War (still in use)
* Original fragments of ghetto wall
* Chlodna Street - symbolical neon bridge over two parts of the ghetto
* Jewish Cemetery - founded in 1806, still functioning
* The building of POLIN Museum of the History of Polish Jews (recommended to visit individually)
* Memorial Route of the Martyrdom and Struggle of the Jews 1940-1943 with Umshlagplatz (place of deportation to Treblinka)
*Memorial plaques in former Jewish "Northern Quarter" with temporary street exhibition
*The Jewish Historical Institute (exhibition and film) - optional
The tour can be EXTENDED by Jewish Praga district (original pre-war Jewish houses: former dormitory and Bergson Education Building as well as a restored house of prayer in the Museum of Warsaw) or original villa from "Zookeeper's Wife" movie. Please email me for a customized tour.
Meeting Location + Tour Duration
Meeting location: I will pick you up from the hotel, railway station or any other place suitable for you.
End location: We can end the tour at any place suitable for you (city center, shopping gallery, museum, your hotel, etc.)
Duration: 5 hours
Walking and private transportation tour.
The car used: Kia Sportage, comfortable, air-conditioned, suitable for 3 passengers.
For bigger groups the van can be hired (paid extra). Please email me for a custom tour if need this, so that I can prize it to you.
* private car transportation up to 3 persons
* Jewish Cemetery entrance fee
* parking fees
* my service as a certified local guide
Estimated Local Cash Needed
20 PLN - 10 - 20 PLN (Polish zloty) for coffee or snacks on the way
Most credit/payments cards are accepted.
* Coffee, snacks etc. on the way
* Jewish Historical Institute entrance fee (12 PLN) - optional
* POLIN Museum entrance fee (25 PLN) and audioguide (10) - optional, individual visit
My car (Kia Sportage) can fit up to 3 people comfortably. Please inquire for larger groups.