Discover the most Asian city of Siberia with a local guide!
Ulan-Ude was founded in 1666 as a Cossack fortress on the right side of the Selenga River at the confluence of the Uda River - an outpost for advancing Russian Empire to the east, those times it called Verkhneudinsk (Upper Udinsk).
In1934, the city was renamed Ulan-Ude, translated from the Buryat language - "Red Uda". Ulan-Ude has a unique historical and cultural heritage.
You will know how the small Cossack's fortress became famous merchant city, and why some scientists think Ulan-Ude one of the most ancient Russia's city.
We visit the main Buddhist temple of Russia - Ivolginskiy Datsan and improve our karma just turning "khurde". Besides this we also visit some picturesque sightseeing spots and finish excursion with dinner in guide's family, where you also can take a photo in national clothes sitting on the horseback).
I can customize this tour upon request.
Of course, the itinerary can be customized to accommodate traveler's requests.
- Pick up from hotel (airport, railway station, etc), with private car
- Drive to the rock over the Uda river, where was the fortress situated
- Drive to the historical down town and start walking excursion from Odigitrievskiy Cathedral
- walking tour along Lenina street (former Big Nickolaevskaya street) up to Soviet Square (former Nagornaya square)
- Soviet square - the city center with the biggest Lenin's head in the world. If you are hungry we can taste some local food in buryat cousine cafe. Drive to Ivolginskiy Datsan, about 40 km to the west from Ulan-Ude
- Visiting the main Buddhist Temple - Ivolginskiy Datsan
- drive back to Ulan-Ude and make stops at sightseeing places: Bain-Tugad hill and "ChingisKhan's Plateau"
- Visit local guide's house in the Gurulba village near the city. Dinner at family, showing the house, photo
- Drive back to hotel.
Meeting Point + Tour Duration
Meeting Point Options: Rail or Bus Station, Airport, Hotel, Address or Intersection, Monument/Building
Duration: 7 hours
private minivan mitsubishi delica
- Guiding Services
- Private Transportation
- Admission Tickets
Estimated Local Cash Needed
3000 RUB - Personal Expenses
3000 rub are approximately 50 USD
- Personal Expenses
- Food, Drinks, Snacks