Edo's Secret Oasis's
Join me for a full day journey through some of Tokyo's beautiful gardens.
Due to a rather tumultuous modern history, there are actually no buildings left in Tokyo dating back to the Edo period. However, there is one part of Edo still very much alive within modern Tokyo: its gardens!!
Unknown to many foreign visitors, Tokyo still harbors several gardens created during the Edo period that offer us the magnificent spectacle of traditional Japanese gardens and places of serenity within one of the busiest city in the world. This tour will also allow you to see the contrast between Japanese style gardens and formal western gardens, as introduced to Japan in the 19th century.
So, come join me to enjoy the peace of wonderful gardens, a warm cup of green tea, a traditional Japanese sweet and, depending on the season, the sights of cherry blossoms, plum blossoms or magnificent autumn leaves!
A full day program for this tour would include the following:
* Koishikawa Korakuen Garden: a 17th century garden created by a branch of the Tokugawa clan then ruling over Japan. A magnificent example of Edo era "daimyo" garden.
* The Rikugi-en Garden: another great example of the Daimyo garden of the Edo period. This one with many references to traditional Japanese poetry.
* The Kyu-Furukawa Garden: created in the 19th century for a rich conglomerate owner, this garden includes both a Japanese garden and a western garden. See the differences?
* The Kyu-Iwasaki Garden: this secondary residence of the founder of the Mitsubishi group offers a great glimpse into the Meiji/Taisho period when Japan opened itself to the world, post over 200 years of isolation.
*Depending on the season, some great spots for cherry blossom or autumn leaves viewing, off the beaten track and far from the crowds!
Meeting Location + Tour Duration
Meeting location: I shall meet you at the lobby of your hotel or in front of your accommodation.
End location: The tour shall end at the lobby of your hotel or at any location within central Tokyo at your convenience.
Duration: 8 hours
We shall be using public transportation and do a bit of walking around.
- My time and service as your private guide, and all my own expenses (transportation costs, etc)
Please note that the tour price quoted above is for a full day (up to 8 hours) with about 4-5 locations included.
Estimated Local Cash Needed
4500 Japanese yen - - Your own transportation costs (about 1500 yens)
- Your own admission costs (about 400 yens per garden)
- Your lunch (about 1000 yens)
The amount above is an estimate for all the extras for the eight hours of the tour. Of course, this amount may increase with tour participants' preferences for meals or transportation methods.
- Your own transportation costs
- Your own admission costs
- Your lunch
Tours are usually conducted by using public transportation services. Private transportation can be arranged on request with advance notice and at additional costs.