Visiting Old and New Architectural Sites in Tokyo
Tokyo is a mix of history and modern technology. I will show you around Tokyo, focusing on worth-visiting architectural sites, from buildings with history of several hundred years to innovative fashionable buildings by world famous architects. By this tour, you can learn characteristics and philosophy of traditional Japanese architecture and can actually visit modern buildings, while feeling the influence of traditional architecture over modern buildings.
You can choose from two types of tours:
A: Ueno and Ginza, OR
B: Harajuku and Omotesando.
Detailed document with photos and map is also available.
• Please request a quote for Extra Fee, (a) if you are a group of more than 4 people, (b) if you would like to extend the tour by adding the places to visit, lunch, dinner, cafe, etc, or (c) if you would like to meet me at a place that is different from the designated meeting place(s).
• For photos in daylight, please remember that Tokyo's sunset is from 4:30 (winter) to 7:00 (spring to summer).
Please choose A or B from below.
Tour A - Ueno and Ginza:
• Ueno: Toshogu (historical shrine) and National Museum of Western Art (a Le Corbusier's work and UNESCO World Heritage site; enter; closed on Mondays and year-end holiday period).
• Ginza: Modern buildings by famous architects, including Hermes, Tokyu Plaza, Chanel, Bulgari, Ginza SIX, Armani, Dior, and Kabukiza Theater.
• End the tour in Ginza area.
[Option] We can visit Nakagin Capsule Tower (look from outside) in Shimbashi (near Ginza) by shortening Ginza part by 30 min plus 2 times of short taxi rides (totally up to 10 USD per car).
Tour B - Harajuku and Omotesando:
• Meiji Jingu, a big shinto shrine with a hundred years history.
• Yoyogi Olympic Stadium (look from outside).
• Sites in Harajuku and Omotesando, including Takeshita street, Tokyu Plaza, Gyre, Dior, Japanese Nursing Bldg, Omotesando Hills, Louis Vuitton, Tod's, Hugo Boss, Apple Store, One Omotesando, Prada, Jewels of Aoyama, and Sunny Hills.
• End the tour in Omotesando area.
Meeting Point + Tour Duration
Meeting Point Options: Hotel, Address or Intersection, Monument/Building
End Point Options: Hotel, Address or Intersection, Monument/Building
Duration: 4 hours
ground railway, subway, walking and taxi if necessary.
Estimated Local Cash Needed
2500 JPY (per person) - Maximum local transportation (2,000 yen; nearly 20 USD) during the tour, plus if Tour A, admission of National Museum of Western Art (500 yen; adult).
I am not a driver. I mainly use public transportation and taxi in Tokyo city center. I can also accompany you in the vehicle you hired or I can support your arrangement of a separate car and driver.
A Recent Review of this tour
Read More Reviews For This Tour
Of all the guides I have used all over the world, Chiaki is among the very best. She is knowledgeable, personable, accommodating. She created a very worthwhile itinerary and even made a handout with text and photos of the structures we saw and the architects for me to keep. She speaks English very well and, especially important since I have some hearing problems, with no accent. This tour was everything I hoped it would be and I will certainly ask her to be my guide in a future visit.