Colours, history and culture
We will drive along Quebrada de Humahuaca (Humahuaca's gorge), UNESCO World Heritage, because of its unique landscape and rich history, that starts 12. 000 years ago.
It was scenary of the Inca's conquerors, the Spanish colonisation and the independence wars.
The beauty of the colourful mountains is breathtaking, changing in every turn of the road.
All the small towns are charming and have something special to show us, like Purmamarca, with its Seven colours mountain ; Tilcara with its archeological site ; Uquia with the church and the american barroque art ; and Humahuaca, with the monument and the markets.
IMPORTANT! All the tours can be combined with the others or tailor made if you have special requests.
Departing from Salta, we will drive to San Salvador de Jujuy, where we will enter into the mountains, driving along Humahuaca's gorge.
- Purmamarca: we will visit beautiful town, amazingly well located at the base of the Seven colours mountain. We can do an hour walk around this mountain, or spend time in the colourful market in town.
- Tilcara: we will visit the archeological site called Pucara de Tilcara, occupied from the year 1000 until the arrival of the Spaniards.
- Huacalera: we will pass the Capricorn Tropic here.
- Uquia: we will visit a colonial church, decorated with old paintings of american barroc art
- Humahuaca: the small streets, the markets and the monument to the heroes of the independence are the main attractions.
Maimará: we will do a short stop to take photos of the Paintors palet mountains.
Returning to Salta, we can follow the cornisa road, in the sub-tropical forest. This will depend on weather conditions and time.
Meeting Point + Tour Duration
Meeting Point Options: Rail or Bus Station, Airport, Hotel, Address or Intersection, Monument/Building
Duration: 10 hours
The duation can vary according with traffic problem or weather conditions.
Toyota Hilux 4x4
Estimated Local Cash Needed
400 ARS - 100 ARS Tilcara archeological site entrance fee
300 ARS For food and beverages
A Recent Review of this tour
Read More Reviews For This Tour
We were able to alter the tour to go to the salt flats which made the trip an amazing experience. Graciela is so knowledgeable of history and general facts about animals and plants. We had an amazing experience.