A walking tour "behind the Iron Curtain"
If you wish to go off the beaten track and dig yourself into the exclusive sides of Budapest, follow me through the heart of the city to hear stories from one of the darker periods of Hungarian history and discover the heroes and villains of WWII, Nazism, the Cold War occupation, the 1956 Uprising and the entire Communist era, to the transition to parliamentary democracy in the late 1980s.
My grandfather was born during the Austro-Hungarian Monarchy's time more than a 100 years ago, my dad lived through WWII and the 1956 freedom fight, and I was born in an era when Hungary was still under the dominance of the Soviets; therefore I have a lot of personal stories to tell you during this tour!
Historical sights/places embraced by the tour:
- The Government District
- The Castle Hill and the siege of Budapest by the Soviets in 1944 and 1945
- The "Hospital in the Rock" Underground WWII Military Hospital (inside visit included)
- Memorial to the Victims of Nazism in Hungary
- The Shoe (Holocaust) Memorial
- Carl Lutz Memorial
- The Budapest Ghetto Memorial
- Jewish Mass Graves
- The 1945 Soviet War Memorial
- The Statue of Liberty (1947)
1956 Uprising venues:
- Parliament Square & the Tank Massacre Memorial
- The U. S. Embassy in Budapest
Cold War-related venues:
- U. S. President R. Reagan Statue
- The Underground Cold War bunker (inside visit included)
Meeting Point + Tour Duration
Meeting Point Options: Hotel, Address or Intersection
End Point Options: Hotel, Address or Intersection
Duration: 4 hours 30 min.
It is a walking tour that covers a distance of approximately 1,5 miles. Public transportation is also used during the tour.
- Guiding Services
- Public Transportation Tickets
- Admission Tickets
Estimated Local Cash Needed
10000 Hungarian forints - To cover the purchase of items of a personal nature, souvenirs, refreshments, etc. during the tour. Entrances to the "House of Terror" Museum of Communism (optional at the end of the tour) are payable in local currency only.
- Personal Expenses
- Food, Drinks, Snacks
A Recent Review of this tour
Read More Reviews For This Tour
We were immensely impressed by Nikolett's expertise, passion and professionalism. Despite some pretty miserable weather, her enthusiasm for her subject was not dampened. The tour was most informative and moving. We highly recommend her!