History, art, religious diversity, local food & wine
Just 17 miles north of central Budapest, Szentendre is a small countryside town on the Danube River, where the original medieval, Baroque and Classicist architecture survived almost completely intact.
Traditionally, this town has been the home of various ethnic and religious groups, namely Catholic Hungarians, Swabians (Germans) and Dalmatians (Croats), Orthodox Serbians, Lutheran Slovaks and several Jews.
Subsequently, the historical and cultural heritage of Szentendre is huge: as we take a walk in the cobblestoned streets and climb the small hill from the Danube to reach the best viewpoints, we will discover the old churches, the atmospheric architecture, local arts and crafts, and we will try some food specialities and wine made here.
Come with me and learn more about the diversity of Hungarian culture in the small town of Szentendre within just half a day.
- Drive from Budapest to Szentendre (30 mins)
- Walk in town in the main commercial street, cobblestoned streets, climb from Danube River to Donkey Hill (30 mins)
- Visit Serbian Orthodox, Catholic, Jewish, Lutheran churches, synagogue, church treasury (30 mins)
- Visit Margit Kovács Ceramic Art Collection (30 mins)
- Visit Szamos Marzipan Museum & Café (30 mins)
- Glimpse into traditional arts and crafts: blue-dyer, langos-baker, lavender ice cream maker, embroidery, pottery, etc. (30 mins)
- Hungarian wine and palinka tasting in a wine cellar (30 mins)
- Drive back from Szentendre to Budapest (30 mins)
(N. B. Lunch is NOT included in this tour but if you wish to have lunch in Szentendre, which requires additional time, please let me know in advance and I create a special offer just for you. )
Meeting Location + Tour Duration
Meeting location: Clients' accommodation, cruise ship terminal, or any other location in central Budapest requested by the clients.
End location: Back to clients' accommodation, cruise ship port, or any other location in central Budapest, according to the clients' request.
Duration: 4 hours
Traffic conditions on the main road from Budapest to Szentendre and back may slightly affect the length of the tour, especially on weekends.
This a tour by vehicle (car/minivan) with driver. Types of car/minivan used: Mercedes E-Class, Mercedes V-Class, Mercedes Viano, Mercedes Vito, Mercedes Sprinter. All vehicles are newly purchased, clean, A/C-d.
Please keep in mind that in Szentendre you have to walk on cobblestones (sometimes uphill) and the walking surface is very uneven. You have to take some steps, too. Wear comfortable shoes, please.
1) Tour guide services
2) Car/minivan with driver
3) All entrances (museum, art collection, treasury, churches)
4) Hungarian wine and palinka tasting in a cellar
Estimated Local Cash Needed
10000 Hungarian forints - To finance purchases of a personal nature, souvenirs, and items that are incidental to the tour.
N.B. Please take into account that in Szentendre most places accept euros, USD and the major credit cards for payment, too, but if you need local cash, ATMs and banks are also available in Szentendre.
Purchases of a personal nature, souvenirs, etc.
My tours are either light/moderate walking tours or very comfortable tours by private car/minivan. In the latter case, since I am not a driver, clean & comfortable A/C-d private cars/minivans with driver are organized for the tour.