A truly unique Switzerland experience
Have you ever wondered how they lived in the days of Heidi and before the Sound of Music popularised Swiss life? Nestled in the Bernese Alps is 660, 000 sq. meters (164 acres) dedicated to showing you how it was done. More than 100 buildings, over a century old, are placed in surroundings appropriate for the regions they came from. The area is divided to represent the different regions of Switzerland so you can see the different architecture, tools and methods used. And I shouldn't forget to mention over 250 animals.
**NOTE - The museum is open Apr 14 - Oct 31. If you plan to be in Switzerland during Nov 1 - Apr 13 contact me for other unique Switzerland experiences. We have lots of traditional Swiss festivals & customs. "There's probably not a weekend that goes by without a fair, a festival, or a concert. Heck, we even celebrate when nobody else cares except the folks in our own town. Festivals range from colourful folk spectacles to medieval celebrations, from weird sport events to sophisticated art".
- Our day will start with a scenic drive to the Open-Air Museum. On the way to the museum we can stop at some scenic lookouts for photo opportunities.
- Once we arrive at the Museum we can walk around the different regions and get a feel for how life may have been in days gone by. At the ticket booth, we will get a schedule of events to see what your group is most interested in (pie making, cheese making, children activities, etc) and work out the best route to take through the museum.
- At some point we can stop at one of the restaurants for some local Swiss fare or you can pack a lunch and we will find a nice spot to sit and eat.
- After a satisfying day of experiencing the traditional Swiss life, I will drive you back to your Hotel via the scenic route.
Our itinerary is flexible and can be adjusted to cater to your desires. Feel free to contact me with any special requests.
Meeting Location + Tour Duration
Meeting location: I will pick you up at your hotel, the Luzern Train Station or any other convenient location in Lucerne.
End location: After your tour you will be dropped off at your hotel, Luzern Train Station or any other convenient locations of your choosing.
Duration: 7 hours
This tour can be done in less time if needed. I usually put a little extra time in my tours to account for pulling over at scenic lookouts, photo opportunities or simply enjoying the Swiss experience.
We will go in my private vehicle. It is a 5 seater. So comfortably 4 adults (me plus 3 adults) but we can fit 3 people in the back if you are willing. It's not uncommon for us to have 4 passengers in the car. If you have a bigger group contact me for a quote. I can most likely make accommodations.
Estimated Local Cash Needed
55 CHF - Tickets
- Adults = $24
- Children (6 - 15) = $12
* Depending on which travel pass you have admission may be free. I can assist you with choosing the best travel pass for your stay in Switzerland.
"In the "Alter Bären" tavern, the "Degen" tavern and the Osteria in the farmstead from Novazzano there are Swiss specialties and home-style fare on the menu. The "Wilerhorn" tavern specializes in chicken dishes."
- Average Lunch is about 30 CHF for adults and 20 CHF for children.
My car is a 5 person car. It comfortably seats 3 adult passengers (1 in front & 2 in back). A 4th passenger can be added if you are willing to sit 3 people in the back. For larger groups I have access to a larger vehicles. Please contact me for a quote.