Discover the mark left by Soviet architecture and how old buildings have been reinterpreted
This tour gives the possibility to discover how soviet buildings and infrastructure have survived in the city and how several structures have been revisited by modern architects to be transformed in new buildings, used for common daily life in the XXI century.
Your time with me includes a sightseeing tour of Tallinn's old town which, being a part of the UNESCO heritage, is a "must see" and helps understand how the city planning has evolved.
- Pick up from port or hotel, with private vehicle
- Drive towards Tallinn Old Town.
- Start of the upper Old Town tour, which includes: castle's square, Orthodox Cathedral, Dome Church, 2 panoramic terraces to enjoy the magnificent view over the city.
- After, by car, we'll discover all most relevant soviet and post-modern buildings, located outside the old town: The National Library, Island square, Ülemiste city area, the Soviet District of Lasnamae, Pirita Olympic District (photo stop)
- Back in the car to drive towards the city centre and discover the new Rotermann quarter, a former factory area, revisited to become a modern district, full of life and vibes.
- Short walk across the quarter and continue on foot towards the Lower Old Town: Viru Gate, Town Hall Square, the Old Pharmacy.
- If time allows, short break for coffee or shopping
- Drive back to the harbour or hotel.
Meeting Location + Tour Duration
Meeting location: Meeting points are:
- Port gate or your hotel (reception area).
- If you are already in town, I usually pick travelers up at Vabaduse Valjak (Freedom's Square), next to the Freedom monument (a big Cross monument).
End location: - At the hotel or at the cruise harbour's gate
- In the Town Hall square
- At Viru Gate (Address: Viru street 24), as agreed during the booking process.
Duration: 4 hours
- Private vehicle (2016 Jeep Renegade) for up to 3 people
- Private tour guide and driver service (myself)
- Tallinn Old Town sightseeing tour (upper town and partly lower town)
- Tallinn city excursion of most remarkable soviet and post-modern buildings (outside the old town) by private vehicle and partly on foot
- Private vehicle (2016 Jeep Renegade) at disposal during the whole excursion (a part for the lower Old Town area, which is pedestrian and cars are not allowed)
Estimated Local Cash Needed
50 EUR - You would need some additional money in case you'd like to take lunch or do some shopping during the excursion
- Entrance fees (unless specified)
- Some additional money for meals, snacks, drinks or shopping
NB: This tour is set for up to 3 persons. If your group is larger, please request for a tailor made tour.
If tour starts from cruise harbour, I will meet you at the harbour gate. This means that from the cruise ship you'll need to walk on your own towards the city, passing a souvenir market and some bus parking lots, up to reaching the port's gate