Somoto Canyon (Namacambre) with a local guide
Somoto Canyon is ancestrally known as Namancambre. Sculpted by the perpetual flow of water and time, it is rock full of history, which hides wonderful landscapes. Its unique structure is forged by the waters of the Comali River (from Honduras) and Tapacali River, which join to form the large Coco River.
Somoto Canyon is located 15km from the city of Somoto, it is a structure with high vertical cliffs. The canyon itself extends for approximately 5km on a winding path whose width varies between 10-15m. In its stony bottom, the calm current is interrupted by various rock formations that give rise to seven or eight pools with stagnant water, creating a lively environment with plants and fish.
The cliffs that surround the canyon reach between 120-150m high and at the narrowest place, the walls can be up to 5m apart from each other. According to the Nicaraguan Institute of Territorial Studies (INETER), these interesting columns are the product of an open geological fault, as well as the erosion from water.
• Depart Managua at 7am to Somoto Canyon.
• Hike the first stretch of the river to get into a boat to take you to the entrance of the canyon.
• Tour the inside of the canyon, then you have the option to cross by swimming, walking or by inflatable truck tires (really an unforgettable experience).
• Enjoy the pools within the canyon, listen to stories and legends told by the local guides, you can jump off from rock structures into the pools, and then have lunch prepared by the household sector and more.
• Return to Managua around 7-8 pm.
• It is possible to cross the canyon by another route, which consists of hiking trails at the top of the cliffs to reach the exit of the canyon, this hike can last 6 hours (for this activity it is necessary to coordinate).
Meeting Location + Tour Duration
Meeting location: I will be meeting you at the hotel / airport.
End location: I will be dropping you at the hotel / airport.
Duration: 13 hours 30 min.
I will be renting a modern van with A/C, with capacity for 6 passengers.
• Private transportation with air conditioning
• Entrance to the monument
• Guiding Fees
• Safety Equipment
• Fruit (Seasonal)
Estimated Local Cash Needed
1200 cordobas - This translates to about US $40. This would be used to cover any extras purchase
• Extra Activities.
• Personal Expenses.
• Breakfast and Diner.