Explore the second oldest city in Europe, including UNESCO heritage site Boyana Church
Sofia is the second oldest city in Europe, founded 7, 000 years ago by the Thracian tribe Serdi. Later, Sofia was the capital of the Roman province of Inner Dacia in 29 A. D.
Through the ages, the city played an important role as a trading center in the Byzantine and Bulgarian Empires. Under Ottoman rule, Sofia was the center of Rumelia province.
Sofia became the capital of restored Bulgaria in 1879, with a population of only 20, 000.
Today many streets, buildings, parks, and even whole neighborhoods preserve the architectural style from the turn of the century. We will explore the compact city center, Boyana Church (UNESCO) and the National History Museum - one of the largest in the Balkans.
-National History Museum and Boyana Church
Walking tour of the center
- Roman ruins of ancient Serdica
- Saint George Rotunda-the oldest church in Sofia
- Medieval Church Sveta Petka of Saddlers
- Building of Central Food Market
- Central Mineral Bath building and mineral water springs
- Remains of Arena di Serdica
- Saint Sofia Church
- Alexander Nevski Cathedral
- National Library
- Sofia University
- The Parliament
- Monument of Russian Emperor
- Military club
- Russian Church Saint Nicolas
- City Garden and National Theatre
- Council of Ministers
- Presidency and The National Guard soldiers
- Former Communist party house
Meeting Location + Tour Duration
Meeting location: I will meet you at your hotel in Sofia
End location: Back to your hotel in Sofia
Duration: 7 hours
Private, 4-seater, air conditioned vehicle.
Estimated Local Cash Needed
70 BGN - entry tickets for museums, meals, drinks and other personal expenses
-I am not a Mountain Guide.
-My van can fit up to 7 people, but for greater comfort, please inquire for a bigger one.
-I am permitted to guide only in English, Russian and Bulgarian.
A Recent Review of this tour
Read More Reviews For This Tour
Very knowledgeable guide. Let's you feel at ease at all times. Had with him good discussions on a broad range of topics across the board.