Insight into the birth place of Singapore
Rivers have played vital roles in human society since the dawn of civilization. As sources of life and means of travel, they have shaped the destiny of towns, cities, countries and even empires.
The Singapore River is a humble trickle in comparison with the Amazon, the Nile or the Yellow River. Stretching no more than 6km inland from its mouth, it is little more than a salty, shallow creek. But it was this creek that made Singapore. Blessed with a well-sheltered estuary, a naturally deep harbour nearby and a freshwater spring on its banks, this tiny river became the main trade artery and life line of Singapore.
This is a 3-hour guided tour. I am flexible regarding the starting time.
• Neo-Palladian architectural style buildings along the Singapore River, including Singapore's oldest building
• Landing site of Sir Stamford Raffles to understand the factors that made Singapore a good trading port
• The icon of Singapore, Merlion and its scenic surrounding
• Activities during the colonial times through sculptures along the river
• Walk through Singapore's oldest suspension bridge in its original structure, Cavanagh Bridge
• Life during the colonial times at Singapore River Gallery
• Colonial architecture and old shop houses
• Local snack of coffee and charcoal-grilled toast that locals have enjoyed since their grandfather's times (additional cost of approximately S$5 per person as stated in the local cash section)
Meeting Location + Tour Duration
Meeting location: Hotel or cruise centre. Please advise hotel address or name of cruise ship and cruise centre
End location: Train station or taxi stand
Duration: 3 hours
I am flexible with the starting time. Please email me for a discussion.
It is a walking tour
A 3-hour guided tour of the history of Singapore. An insight into how this tiny river of only 6km became the main trade artery and life line of Singapore.
Estimated Local Cash Needed
5 SGD - The estimate price of S$5 is for food tasting during the tour
Transportation to the meeting place. Private transfer can be arranged at additional cost
I do not have a driver''s licence. However, I can arrange for private transportation if required.
A Recent Review of this tour
Read More Reviews For This Tour
On time. Pleasant and knowledgeable. Maybe most important , Annie adapted on the fly as she found out I had already spent some amount of time on turf she was going to cover.