Enjoy making & tasting Basque "Idiazabal" cheese
In this tour you are going to learn how Basque dairies produce the "Idiazabal" cheese.
"Idiazabal" is a way to produce cheese original from Basque Country and Navarra that obliges to producers to use only the milk from one kind of sheep, the "latxa", which is original from this region.
We will visit a sheep farm to understand everything about latxa sheep caring, see how farmers get the milk and how they produce the cheese.
If the weather is good we will see how the dog shephers the sheeps.
And finally we will take our time to taste the delicious curds and cheese that we have made ourselfs, helping this with cider or wine ;-)
(Optional walk on Adarra hill to see a typical Basque mountain landscape where sheeps graze in summers is also available under request)
- From San Sebastian we will go by car to the farm. (20 minutes driving)
- We will do the optional walk in case you decided to add it to our adventure.
- Workshop and tasting in the farm.
- Optional lunch
- Back to San Sebastian by car.
Meeting Location + Tour Duration
Meeting location: In San Sebastian: at your hotel, bus station, train station, airport or port.
To pick you up in Bilbao, Vitoria, Pamplona, Bayonne or Biarritz, would involve an extra-cost. Please, if this is the case contact me requesting for a custom tour which involves this cost.
End location: In San Sebastian: at your hotel, bus station, train station, airport or port.
To drop you off in Bilbao, Vitoria, Pamplona, Bayonne or Biarritz, would involve an extra-cost. Please, if this is the case contact me requesting for a custom tour which involves this cost.
Duration: 5 hours
The tour could be customised according with your availability and suggestions.
Transport on a fully equipped air-conditioned rented car or van depending on the number of people
- Farm and cheese factory guided tour.
- Dog exhibition (depending on the weather and time of the year)
- Cheese making workshop
- Transport on a fully equipped air-conditioned rented car or van depending on the number of people
- Guided expert explanations at every moment.
Estimated Local Cash Needed
25 EUR - If you want to eat at the cheese factory the price would be 25€.
If you want you could enjoy a roasted lamb menu with wine or cider from the region.
- The meal: The standard is roasted lamb but there are other options under request.
- 1, 2 or 3 hours guided walk on the mountains by a professional guide under request. (extra price would be 35 €/hour).
- Personal expenses.
- Extra cost in case the meeting location is out of San Sebastian (please, contact me prior booking).
I do not have any restrictions in regard to my guiding, I can offer a full range of experiences
A Recent Review of this tour
Read More Reviews For This Tour
What an amazing experience for any child!!! My kid got to herd sheep, hold a baby lamb, feed the animals, make cheese and partake in a cheese tasting. Highlight of our kid's trip to San Sebastian.